Antiquated supply?

they are probablly bad but i don't know if there are any specific regs

the service fuses may be wire fuses but you should be able to safely pull the entrie fuse carrier from is base

failing that i would fit the new board fit a main earth terminal do your bonding to the new earth terminal connnect the main earth terminal to your main earth and both CUs

then call the rec and ask them to deal with theier mess and move the supply to the new CU at the same time

you could disconnect the meter and of the tails live (if you do this do the live tail first) but its not something i can advise a diyer to do

Sponsored Links
I don't think that sockets on the skirting boards are de-facto bad, but obviously they are more prone to damage, particularly as they stick out, and as you've experienced, it's a pain with moulded plugs. Building regs are not an issue, as it's not a new build or conversion, but if they were then you'd have to have them half way up the bl**dy wall....

There is a potential hazard if you're not expecting it - I'll bet you'll find the cables running in rebates on the rear face of the skirting....

If/when you rewire, will access to the floor voids be relatively easy?

Have pulled apart house today and found that the majority of the cabling runs in the floor void. Getting access under ground floor is easy as there's a cellar. Upstairs - not sooo easy but boards have to come up for heating anyway.

Interesting array of different sockets & wiring arrangements present. None too bad but needs a clean up & replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back