Appeal? Can we take it any further? (Ed.)

That implies that it is the intention to demolish that is the crucial point, not the actual fact? We are all advised to insure a house to cover the rebuilding cost, with the obvious assumption that if the worst happened in a natural accident or arson we could rebuild the house. That surely assumes either that planning permission would be automatic or not required at all?

So it's a bit like a legal determination in a criminal case - they have to prove an intention to comit the act, not just the fact?
It is not a matter of intent it is a matter of fact. If the building is demolished it is as if it never existed in Planning terms. How or why the building was removed is irrelevant. The enforcement action and prosecution is not for demolishing the old building it is for building the new one without permission. You cannot accidently build a new house.
On the point of insurance an entire building does not just collapse down to ground level. Even with a severe fire you still get a few standing walls. I suppose a severe gas explosion might feasibly take down a building but even then it just seems to blow the roof off and blow out all the windows and maybe 1 or 2 walls. It might well be more economical to demolish and rebuild after a collapse but you should get planning permission to rebuild before you demolish the remaining structure. Buildings insurance usually covers costs of professional fees for architects, planning permission etc.
There are definitions for how much standing structure must remain before it is treated as a new build for Planning, Building Regulations etc, I cannot recall the figures off the top of my head. The Building Act used to say something like a standing wall of at least 12 feet in height must remain for the structure to be classed as an existing building.
With this case I am struggling to imagine a builder so incompetent that they managed to undermine all the foundations of a building to cause simultaneous and catastrophic collapse of the entire building. How would that even work? You would have to have a team of guys digging under the foundations around the building simultaneously and coordinated so that they they all reached the critical depth at the same time? There have been cases where basement conversions have gone wrong due to undermining the existing foundations and whilst they tend to cause severe damage and catastrophic collapse I haven't seen one where they managed to bring down the entire building.

Sponsored Links
Yep, there's a ton of missing information here obviously and until the OP cares to divulge it the thread will go nowhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back