Appliances in compartments warning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Greenstar 30Si in a cupboard in the bathroom.

There's a warning sticker about keeping the cupboard door closed

20220101_100612.jpg

20220101_100642.jpg

Is this just a generic warning or does it need to stay in a cupboard for some esoteric reason?

Could I swap the cupboard for a louvre door affair? My only hesitation is it's not really enclosed with a louvre door.

I really don't think it's an issue but would rather check first.

Sponsored Links
BG love putting those on cupboard doors, seems to be Company policy wherever there's a boiler in a cupboard.

As long as your boiler is a room sealed (draws air in from flue, not surrounding space), it is unlikely to need ventilation for cooling or combustion unless Manu Instructions say so, so you can ignore sticker.

Hi,

As the boiler in a bathroom, there could be an argument that using a louvered door could lose the compartmentalisation, and bring the boiler into a zone.

As above, the sticker is generic and similar ones are used by many companies.

If I may ask, what would you like to achieve? :)

Sponsored Links
If I may ask, what would you like to achieve? :)
Wifey doesn't like the "melamine monolith" and thinks a bamboo/pine style cupboard with louvre doors would "soften" it.

As long as your boiler is a room sealed (draws air in from flue, not surrounding space), it is unlikely to need ventilation for cooling or combustion unless Manu Instructions say so
Good idea, I'll check the manual. The room itself isn't well sealed (big gap under door) which aids the ventilation. However, the cupboard is well sealed.

As others have said just ignore it, usuall BG rubbish, their outdated company policy and the sheep that follow, modern boilers dont need compartment ventillation

As others have said just ignore it, usuall BG rubbish, their outdated company policy and the sheep that follow, modern boilers dont need compartment ventillation
The question isn't about cabinet ventilation - the OP is intending to add more, by fitting a louvered door! :)
@jacko555 , how far away is the door from the bath/shower?
And the big question do you want to change the door or not?
I'm sure we could come up with convincing arguments one way or the other! ;)

The question isn't about cabinet ventilation - the OP is intending to add more, by fitting a louvered door! :)
@jacko555 , how far away is the door from the bath/shower?
And the big question do you want to change the door or not?
I'm sure we could come up with convincing arguments one way or the other! ;)
Nope only requirement is stated in the MIs minimum distances for servicing is all that is required , louvre door or welded steel wont make any difference

A boiler can only be installed within zone 3 of a bathroom, that means anywhere closer than 0.6m to the bath/shower or basin is considered a no no, unless it's within it's own enclosed space

When BG used to service my boiler in a cupboard in the bathroom they would stick one of those stickers onto the side of the boiler. When they left I peeled it off. The next year they would stick a new one on. This went on for several years.

Now I have the boiler serviced by a local independent heating engineer he doesn't add the sticker. I asked him about it and he said that the boiler takes air from outside and is room sealed so the information on the sticker is incorrect. He is also happy for me to store things in the cupboard, the boiler casing doesn't get very warm and the flue goes straight out of the back of the boiler so there is no chance of anything falling onto that.

Reading the notice (which is really a catch all), there isn't anything that's actually factually incorrect on the sticker.

a) The 'don't leave the door open....' paragraph is relative, if the compartment was in a bathroom and anywhere within zone 2
b) The 'don't block grilles....' paragraph is only relative if there were actually any fitted/required (a room sealed appliance wouldn't need any)
c) You shouldn't use a boiler compartment to store/dry clothes or anything else in it as the norm, unless they were on separate shelves, that's just common sense
d) If it was a warm air heater then there would be vents and any vents etc should not be covered and any fitted filters would need to be cleaned every month
d) every gas appliance should be serviced once a year.

Certainly that's the way I read them. Does it need to be there, could it be on the inside .... well :rolleyes:

Rather than replace the cupboard, couldn't you get someone with artistic talents to paint a floral design or whatever on it to keep SWMBO happy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back