Appliances in compartments warning

@jacko555 , how far away is the door from the bath/shower?
1.5m from bath, 3 and some change from shower.
Nope only requirement is stated in the MIs minimum distances for servicing is all that is required , louvre door or welded steel wont make any difference
That's what I took from manual, just clearances for a vented or unvented cupboard
Rather than replace the cupboard, couldn't you get someone with artistic talents to paint a floral design or whatever on it to keep SWMBO happy?
When she has an idea, I implement it. Would never dare to suggest something.

Sponsored Links
As long as there is a cupboard door, I believe the electrician's will be happy!
...but think of all that extra dusting! ;)
well the OP should get a BG contract and they will dust it, they wont do much else but they will get the feather duster out that they use to chap doors of jobs they dont want to do
When she has an idea, I implement it. Would never dare to suggest something.
A real man just like me, even the dog has more say than me in here :rolleyes:

I don't have any technical knowledge on boiler servicing but, as a householder, the difference between a BG service and one done by my local heating engineer is very noticeable.

BG took the cover off the boiler and looked inside but never dismantled anything, they sometimes stuck a probe in the flue outside, they never went to the gas meter, they did stick a compartment sticker on it and left some paperwork. They often tried to sell me a new co2 alarm to replace the one that they originally sold me which still tests ok. They usually spent more time drinking coffee and updating their laptop than working on the boiler.

The local heating engineer takes off the cover and dismantles some things inside and cleans them, he flushes out the plastic bits that catch the condensate, he cleans the magnetic filter, he connects a gadget with some pipes coming out of it to the boiler and goes to the gas meter (no idea what he does there), he checks the concentration of inhibitor in the central heating water. He tests the co2 alarm. He leaves some paperwork and completes a some guarantee paperwork in the back of the boiler manual, he also leaves me a printout from the gadget that he connected to the boiler. He is usually here about 45 minutes. The only extra that he has sold me is some inhibitor when his test indicated that the concentration was low.

A boiler can only be installed within zone 3 of a bathroom, that means anywhere closer than 0.6m to the bath/shower or basin is considered a no no, unless it's within it's own enclosed space
Depends on the boiler. Intergas are IP44 and I think Navien are IP54 from memory

Sponsored Links
epends on the boiler. Intergas are IP44 and I think Navien are IP54 from memory
OK, I guess the BG stickers are a catch all, so in the main ... though of course there will always be exceptions .... :rolleyes:

Doesn't alter the fact that basins do fall under the zone rules and anything within 600mm is within a Zone 2 space. :whistle:

...or if the appliance is in the cupboard! ;) :D

I think the point that has been in the back of my mind is - what the OP has in mind (replacing the door with a louvered one), is completely fine and is within (electricity) Regs.

The problem often encountered, is misinformation and misinterpretation of the Regs - even the electrician's argue about them enough, on their side of the forum! ;)

Why, I added a comment to this thread in the first place, was because I had a conversation with an SSE engineer, about the boiler in my cupboard - he would have 'condemned' it, if it had a louvred door, because of its location next to the bath.

For the minimum amount of hassle, it's easier to go with common sense and have an installation that 'looks' safe (and conforms!), rather than have an installation that is technically safe, and within regs, but looks 'dodgy'!

I hope that makes sense! :)

I think it depends on which electrician you ask .... there seems to be a whole lot of discussion around that every since the 17th edition amendments came out and Zone 3 was then removed it isn't referenced any more but it is still considered best practice around basins. My electrician still considers it as a zone 2 area.

As an installer I would still want to keep any electrical item away from a possible water source and TBH that would include the basin.

Up to 18th edition now, handy doc that, that'll get printed off and go in the docs box .... (y)

I'd still avoid any area that can spill/spray water regardless of the regs. So many things in these industries that were the rules and are now considered best practice or they're just plain common sense and not contained within legislation. Certainly wouldn't install a boiler close to/over a basin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back