Are these quotes correct? And true purpose of inner felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following extreme weather the day before, I discovered a small, dribbling leak coming through some ripped inner felt in my 1960's roof. This felt has been ripped for several years with no leaks. The rip is quite large, the width if two beams and about 3 inches in height.
Had 2 roofers quote today, both said concrete tiles would need removing from one side of the house, up to the rip, replace with membrane and relay. One quote was £1750, other £2400.
I want to ask if this is correct or am I being taken for a ride?

Also, having researched, I'm confused on the purpose of the inner felt. Is it there in case of failed tiles and carries water to the gutters, or is there to prevent frost?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yes they are ripping you off! try elsewhere... Membrane is to stop driving rain mainly.
Thanks for the response. If it helps, the felt is the old style, I'll attach a pic below. Is this still the case? Thanks
1000015315.jpg

Sponsored Links
What's on the roof? It may be something as simple as a broken tile.
Hi, thanks for replying. They are concrete overlapping tiles, original from 60's. Have tried best to look from ground level outside and can't see a particularly broken or damaged tile.
What is your opinion on the quotes, if it is just a tile? Thanks

I would get another couple of quotes from roofers who go up on the roof to find what the actual problem is.

OP,
Why not Post a pic of the roof - annotate the pic to show the area of the ripped felt?
FWIW: fixing a felt rip from inside the loft is a straightforward job.
Dont have endless boots traipsing across your fragile 1960's tiles - why not wait for a bit of advice from here after you've posted a pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back