Audio (but not video or subtitles) dropouts on TV on Cat 6 wired home network; why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a solid Zen Internet DSL broadband feed to the first floor of my house which works fine with streaming services (Netflix, Disney+) on a desktop PC wired to the switch I have connected (also wired) to Zen's router close by to it. However I have Cat 6 cabling from the switch via patch cables and cabling under floorboards etc to several other locations around my house including to the downstairs sitting room where I have my TV. My network tester says that all cabling runs are fine and it has all worked well in the past. My TV being old, I now have to feed it for streaming services via a laptop PC, of which I have an old one and a new one just a few weeks old. In the last few months both laptop feeds, old and new, have at first fed the TV with good video and subtitle feeds, but now, for the last couple of months, every few seconds there is a dropout of a second or two on the audio. Though the video and subtitle feeds continue uninterrupted, it's very annoying. Any suggestions please as to where to look?

Sponsored Links
It's the equipment providing the stream or the TV itself.

Cables are unrelated - if the cables were at fault, it would affect the video as well.

My TV being old, I now have to feed it for streaming services via a laptop PC, of which I have an old one and a new one just a few weeks old.
Although a creditable use of an old laptop - a made for purpose device such as a Roku (Ultra LT includes ethernet) box, or FireTV (Cube), would be a far more suitable alternative for streaming.

The user interfaces are slick and there aren't too many behind the scenes services going on, that could interfere with the behaviour of the Windows laptop!

Sponsored Links
Back