Back Door Step Plan (of an idiot…)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,
About to get off my phone and on laptop now I’ve posted pic. One min please.
There must be a better way than that - told you I'm an idiot :rolleyes::)

So I've taken the tiles off my existing back door step and my plan was to build a frame around the existing bit of remaining step and bring it out a couple of feet further by making a wooden frame then filling it with cement then laying beach pebbles into it (flat, so it's non-slip but doesn't render your bare feet bruised and battered after a day in the garden).

I'm a newbie and got a Galax Pro drill and jigsaw for my birthday yesterday (it's unkind to snigger, I'm a beginner so be nice) so have already built a panel to fit a little gap I had in my new back garden fencing and only managed to bleed a little bit - snapped a drill bit and didn't amputate a digit thankfully, but I'm sure it's in the post. Pardon the pun. This isn't The Godfather.

The paving of the rest of the patio is for another, different day of despondency and regret. But do I need to take it up to lay the base?

Any tips gratefully received. Please be gentle with me. I'm a 46 year old woman with delusions of ability with a power tool.

Cheers.
Sophie

Attachments

• ECDD1860-7B11-4F4D-BF20-506EAC84A546.jpeg
    ECDD1860-7B11-4F4D-BF20-506EAC84A546.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Personally I would be inclined to make it larger than you suggest and go to the edges (sideways and outward ) of the first row of flags with your frame. Then fill with concrete ( coloured if so desired ), not just sand and cement, so that you do not disturb or have to cut the flags when replacing the patio and you can cover with matching surface of new patio later. Also make sure it falls away from the door so that water can run off and not pool against the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back