Badly installed tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tiles in our bathroom seem to have been installed badly. Some are not quite level and the grout appears to be failing. I removed one tile so I could see what substrate was used. How do I go about removing the tiles and preparing the floor for tiling? I'm a noob, so a detailed explanation would be great.
20240927_095649.jpg
20240927_095709.jpg
20240927_095715.jpg
20240927_095759.jpg
20240927_095759.jpg
20240927_095820.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like they are installed directly onto chipboard flooring. The tiles that have cracked are ones that have been weakend by cutting to an L shape of sorts and look like they have cracked on the chipboard join. Possibly the chipboard is not fixed down properly to start with then non flexible adheasive and grout has not been used.
A proper fix would be to remove everything, secure the chipboard floor then fix a tile backer board onto that and then re tile.
To do it so it does not happen again is a right faff and in my opinion I would never try to tile a wooden floor upstairs - whack some vinyl down.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, what's the best way to remove the adhesive?
For large areas something like this and for smaller areas there is a hand version.

Waterproof adhesive has to be chipped off.
None waterproof adhesive spray with water to soften

That's incredibly useful. Thank you so much.
You are going to hate it and if the job is not re done belt and braces full spec for tiles then you will be re doing it again in the not too distant future.
I would clean it all off and put vinyl or waterproof planks down.

OP,
You have attempted to lay the large tiles over sheet vinyl or sheets of "small tiles" - IOW's tile on tile.
There's no signs of prepping the surface of the first layer of whatever material - & the attempt to spread adhesive for the large tiles is useless.

Can't see where it's tile on tile? They are directly onto board.

The small squares will be the pattern of the underside of the laid tiles and within the adhesive

Poster #10,
Perhaps you missed: "the first layer of whatever material"?
The small squares are are obviously not impressions from the undersides of the larger tiles.
What does "and within the adhesive mean"? Do you mean the underside has imprinted itself in adhesive?

Laid directly over chipboard by the looks of it and if they are porcelain the back of the tile should be primed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back