Ban's 40 Module Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ban when you say 40 module. Do you mean 40 ways :eek: :eek: :eek: .... Flippin Heck Ban

Sponsored Links
Well - yes:

New_CU.jpg

I will end up with a fair bit of unused space, but I'll fill more than half of it.

Also, I'll have room to terminate SWA for an outside supply in there etc.

£11.50 on eBay.

Apart from the rails it's empty - I've got some MCBs, an incomer, RCD etc, but that's why I was asking the other day for recommendations for suppliers of Siemens bits - I need more MCBs, and all the other gubbins like busbars, earth & neutral bars..... (the latter two of course could be any make.)

Ban, as you go through the process of filling your CU would you be prepared to post pics at each stage, explain what you are doing and educate the ignorant and unwashed?

I think that would be a great idea for Ban to provide pics on this one. Can't wait to see it. Well my nelectrician as fallen ill and so i'm taking up the mantle. Only ring and lighting circuits with a few spurs, underfloor heating and a bit of outside lighting. that's about it.

BAN BAN THE FORTY MODULE MAN

Sponsored Links
Ban can you run through your setup for us if you have time. I would be well interested in this. using 20 ways is really going some, i'm getting rather excited. i thought i was doing well with my MK 16 way split load board, but you have embarrassed me now :oops:

Current (groan) thinking:

1. Upstairs Ring
  2. Downstairs Ring
  3. [Possible separate ring/radial for teenage son's room so we can turn the power off after we've asked him for the nth bl**dy time to turn the music down] (I'm almost serious about this...)
  4. Radial for sockets on one side of kitchen (OK these could be on the down ring)
  5. Radial for sockets on the other side of the kitchen (basically it's a galley kitchen with solid walls and floor - this'll be the easiest way to do it)
  6. Radial for appliances
  7. Cooker circuit
  8. Non-RCD circuit for F/F
  9. Boiler supply - I intend to fit a 2P c/o switch and an IEC male socket so that I can power it from a UPS if I have to
  10. Radial supplying bathroom towel rail, a couple of background heaters and a socket in the loft
  11. Shower
  12. Up lights
  13. Down lights
  14. Outside lights (patio wall lights, garden floods)
  15. Radial for entrance hall, porch lights & a socket outside
  16. Radial for patio - socket, water feature, decking lights

Then add in 4 ways for incomer and RCD, and allow a few spares, and bingo - over 20. Then allow more space for a bell transformer, a contactor for emergency lights, another incomer and an MCB to protect the supply to the garden office and avoid a separate switchfuse, and it all gets more and more.

OK - there is an element of Parkinsons Law at work, and I could probably trim it all back to a 20-way, but...

With all that demand - is your house on a 3 phase 415 volt supply rated at 200amps per phase, with CT metering? :LOL: :LOL:

flippin heck Ban that is amazing. I like the idea about the teenage son's room, perhaps you could just leave him with a bit of emergency lighting.

Would you consider, Alarm dedicated 6amp and hard wired smoke detectors.

How long do you think it would take you to do, will you have to make new chases etc or will you be able to pull the cables through.

I'll get some pictures this weekend of the work that i have been doing and then you can tell me what you think. I really feel that my junction boxes are very neat and i take pride in maiing them so. The problem is is that each junction boxe takes me 20 mins to do.

My setup is as follows.

Lighting:
Downstairs
Upstairs
Loft
Under soffit lighting

Ring:
Kitchen and conservatory
Living, dining and hallway
Loft

extra's:
power to garage 16 mm2 swa
Cooker 10mm2 radial
Telephone every room
Ariel in most rooms
Underfloor heating in kitchen, Conservatory and bathroom all RCD protected
Alarm only went for 4 zones and an internal sounder.

My outside lighting is simply powered by indoor transformer into the B&Q range. The plug will be placed under a unit accessible with switch above work surface.
If i want to power other outdoor euipment i will come of my garage consumer.

That's about it really.

This is my consumer unit. Sorry for the big picture.

Click here to view

kai said:
With all that demand - is your house on a 3 phase 415 volt supply rated at 200amps per phase, with CT metering? :LOL: :LOL:
The demand would be the same if I had one lighting circuit, two rings, a shower and a cooker.

But I am concerned that after I've got the garden office building finished I will be potentially quite a lot over 100A. Must get some spare service fuses, JIC...

Underwoods in London do the full range of Seimens: 0208 3620212.

Failing that I am still pretty sure you can get it through Rexel Senate.

We are getting rid of our range of Contactum TPN boards and changing over to Crabtree, I could do you a deal on one of those if you were interested. The benefit here is that you would already have all the internals and the MCB's would be the right money. The downside is I don't know how you would covert it to single phase; just a thought.

Thanks for the info.

And thanks for the offer, but I'll stick with the one I've got....

afaict most 3 phase boards can be fitted with a single phase conversion kit

basically it involves bolting a bar accross the 3 busbars and fitting a suitable incomer

while split load 3 phase boards do exist they are expensive and hard to get so it is more normal to use rcbos for cuircuits that need the protection.

Thats interesting, never seen one of those before, you learn something new every day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back