Barmy customers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m sure that others must have had some barmy customers?
I will start of with three:-
1/ Customer asked me to reroute an existing cable - trunking in a pantry/cupboard under the stairs on the inside of a door frame, out of sight if door closed but if door open it showed up (white trunking) on white door frame at the opening side and the door head therefore restricted open are by 16mm both width and height on a full size door. Door opened outwards into the room.
His reason was "If the door is open and someone hangs their jacket on the open edge then tries to close the door it will knock the trunking off.
I did explain I would need to replace with longer length of cable and trunking to reroute to another satisfactory route therefore expense etc.
His wife asked him which idiot did he think would hang a jacket on a door then attempt to close it?
2/ Demonstrating an intruder alarm system I put it into activation and the customer objected that it would disturb the neighbours. His Wife replied that she hoped it would indeed disturb them if activated.
3/ An intruder alarm again (not one of mine) Bloke says what is the point of putting a bellbox on the front wall because they will just break in round the back?

Sponsored Links
You have not seen my wife, she loves adding brackets to doors to hang coats on the back of door. However we all do some daft tricks, like fitting lights to ensure intruders do not trip and fall over when coming through the garden. Even call them intruder lamps. Why help them.

As to bell box, I know some places by-laws do not permit them to have a bell, only the flashing light is permitted.

And the intruders into my house get in through the hole drilled to wire in the bell box, and it is illegal for me to evict them. They did move out, but left a lot of bat droppings to clear up.

Even call them intruder lamps. Why help them.

They might help intruders, but they also deter them...

What sensible intruder would try to break into a property, where they would suddenly find themselves in the full glare of flood lights?

Nought to prevent you making them even more useful, by having the PIR sound a warning indoors, if a PIR has been triggered. Either by a direct tapping from the PIR, or sensing the current draw by the PIR circuit, which was what I did..

A few turns of the supply cable around a transformer, then wire the secondary, via a rectifier, to a simple piezo sounder.

I have a door bell and a push button they can press. I have thought about a PIR I have enough dotted around the house from the old alarm, but you can bet even if I did, the delivery man would still press the door bell, so still have to answer door even when just a delivery.

And setting the sensitivity so only people, not cats, bats, and badgers will set it off, not easy.

Sponsored Links
Yes illumination from PIR lightin can actually have the opposite effect in some circumstances, I think I mentione a Tyre depot a while back.

As for hangers on backs of doors it is not uncommon, I dont like it meeself but top edge of door is not a coat hanger itself is it?

A narrow section of wall between two doors, with a light switch in the middle. Customer knocks small nails in the wall above switch to hang four small pictures, vertically. Damages cable. Four times.

'Oh,' she says, 'I didn't think there'd be a cable THERE'.

Where else?

A narrow section of wall between two doors, with a light switch in the middle. Customer knocks small nails in the wall above switch to hang four small pictures, vertically. Damages cable. Four times.

Where else?
Perhaps they expected a kinetic switch:ROFLMAO:

Perhaps they expected a kinetic switch:ROFLMAO:
Nice one.
A fellow electrician told me about a woman who did not understand why he wanted to move furniture to get boards up to lay cables to chase up wall to put a socket on a wall, She "just wanted sockets , not cables!"

That is the problem even with the most obvious of "Safe Zones" folk never stop for a second to think about where cables (or copper pipes" might actually be, if any.

100 is not a very high IQ achievment.
You could be a gas engineer with a customer who was concerned about gas leaking out when removing a radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back