Bathroom ceiling artex disaster, can anyone please help???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Complete amateur here so please be kind. Bit of background, mould on bathroom (artexed) ceiling so used HG mould remover. Looked absolutely disgusting afterwards so decided to paint. Sugar-soaped whole ceiling, bits of the artex were coming away, managed to get as much off with a brush til it stopped. Have just been using a roller to paint the ceiling and a huge amount of the artexing over the bath has come away, it looks awful. Help!!! What on earth do I do?

Sponsored Links
Photos will help.

If the roller (read: suction from the roller sleeve) was pulling the finish off, that would possibly suggest that the substrate was not properly sealed in the first place.

Hi opps, thanks for the speedy reply. I have no idea what the substrate is sadly. Have attached some pictures here, it actually looks a lot worse than in the pics, a lot of bubbling, which I think those areas are going to come away too. Its only over the bath where I used the mould spray. The last picture is of the rest of the artexing, which is in tact

Attachments

• Ceiling2.jpg
    Ceiling2.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Ceiling3.jpg
    Ceiling3.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Ceiling4.jpg
    Ceiling4.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Ceiling5.jpg
    Ceiling5.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Ceiling7.jpg
    Ceiling7.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Ceiling8.jpg
    Ceiling8.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Normal ceiling.jpg
    Normal ceiling.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 11
It might be safer to brush the paint on.

Rollers, depending on the type, will lay off paint and expel the air in the roller, as you continue to roll they want to suck the air back in- sorry- far from a technical description... if the paint on the substrate is not properly adhered, when the wet roller rolls over it, the old paint will become softer because of the water in the new coat, it can activate the old paint and rip it off.

My gut instinct would be to suggest that you brush on a water based eggshell. Perhaps use thinned emulsion over the bits that have come away (or a water based primer if you have some).

Water based eggshell, if applied properly is fine for ceilings prone to high levels of steam, the water should drip off, but ultimately air flow is key- ie- reducing the moisture in the first place.

Sponsored Links
So should I brush the rest of the bubbled/flaky bits off first before painting? They are ripe for coming off.

Then use a brush to paint on water based eggshell followed by a thinned emulsion over the dodgy bits? Once that has dried, should I then paint over the emulsion with the rest of the anti-mould paint that I’ve used on the rest of the ceiling? I am clueless, sorry. Sadly I have no windows in the bathroom, only an electric fan. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back