Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's

Our current bathroom is starting to look it's age. The tiles weren't done all that well and we think a change is in order.

We were thinking of having that opaque perspex or glass sheeting on the walls.

Anyone know of who does it or how it's attached?

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
seen it in b & q but i wouldnt

it needs to be sealed to stop anything getting behind it, but if you do that anything behind it you cant get at :cry:

I stayed in a hotel about 2 years ago, which had a very modern bathroom. It used a mix of different shapes and sizes, but not a jumble. The floor was slate, and the walls were a mix of mosaic (blue and white) and large white tiles (about 18 inch by 9) in a brick pattern. There was also a break in the tiles to fit in a full height mirror panel, which became part of the wall.

I loved it and intend to implement a similar theme in my house when i can afford one :LOL:

I decked out the entire wet side (sink wc and bathtub) of a bathroom in 5mm opal acrylic with a diagonal yellow break. Looks sharp and liveley 6 months on. no grimey grout neither.
The shower fittings /wc /sink etc do most of the work 'pulling' the sheets to the wall, The edges/joins are held in place with hybrid polymer glue.

Most suppliers cut from either 8x4 ft or 3x2 m so it's a question of ordering your shapes optimally as you pay for a whole sheet up to a point.

Getting at the plumbing behind is a breeze compared to tiles - a quick swipe with a stanley, peel out the glue (sets like silicone but a lot firmer), take the taps etc off, bish 'n'bash with the monkey wrench and then reseal.

b/

Sponsored Links
Sounds pretty good.

Can you give tips and share how you fiexed it etc?

plus some pictures would be really cool ;)

Cheers

Richard

sorry aint got access to it for pics for a while,

proceduraly it can be treated as if you were installing 5mm plywood panels but i'll focus on 2 problem areas
- with ply you would i guess use screws, but with acrylic that would ruin the look, so to initially to support the weight it would we good to have a dead straight and level bit of skirting already down, so it would rest on that whilst u get em ready for fixing.

Whilst waiting for the grout/glue (stixall/everbond etc) to set i got some square contoured cable clips and cut off the sides, so it's contour looked like a 'r' instead of an 'n' iykwim.
i replaced the nail in each with a small screw, and these were great for holding the panels into the plasterboard temporarily.

you may or may not want a grout line, but I experimented a bit and found they were useful, because like tiling, errors in the geometry of the wall forces minor adjustments, the width needed for a cable clip (4mm?) seemed about right, and allows for different colours (grey /black /white silicone etc) to add to the mondrian classic you're about to render
;)

In the corner i used a 6 ft 15x15mm rod of acrylic for the panels to butt up against and the join siliconed over as above.

last thing -cutting holes- get an adjustable compass style attachment for a battery operated drill. I cant remember what it's called but it's a drill bit going through a sliding ruler where 2 sharp points are fixed with an allen key, these spin round and cut your holes the easiest.

b./

My partners parents have just injected some life into their bathroom by turning it into a wet room (a la Living Etc magazine www.livingetc.co.uk) with a huge screen of glass, which acts as the shower wall, some really nice sandstone tiles, a massive silver gilded mirror and some amazingly soft Egyptian cotton towels from Feather and Black http://www.featherandblack.com/Store/Accessories/Bathroom

Definitely check our living etc...

D

I have did 2 bathrooms in my house in the past year. 1st was a glass walk in double headed power shower dealy upstairs. I used Norsk Mermaid wetwalls in Pervinca(matt silver). Its ace. 2nd bathroom downstairs i used wet walls above bath for the shower. These wet walls i bought from Travis Perkins(shade of white) again it look great and i would NEVER consider tiling again, much cleaner look with wetwalls and fitting them is a doddle. Mind you make sure and measure at least twice before cutting as you cannot go back!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back