Baxi Bermuda 552 backboiler only starts for 45 seconds and stops.

We generally don't recommend those type of sites.

Most require a payment for contractors to reply/quote and that sometimes means those who pay them are short of work. You might wonder why.

I have used rated people myself to find people to do work for me which is not very technical, tree cutting, digging a vehicle access track and plastering. None of them were British born!

Have even quoted on a few jobs on one of their special try on offers. But I did not continue with it.

Even did one job through them too. Replacing and upsizing a gas supply pipe and British Gas were paying her for it. But she was not being honest and wanted me to do other work for her all within the invoice for BG.

Tony

Sponsored Links
We generally don't recommend those type of sites.

Most require a payment for contractors to reply/quote and that sometimes means those who pay them are short of work. You might wonder why.

I have used rated people myself to find people to do work for me which is not very technical, tree cutting, digging a vehicle access track and plastering. None of them were British born!

Have even quoted on a few jobs on one of their special try on offers. But I did not continue with it.

Even did one job through them too. Replacing and upsizing a gas supply pipe and British Gas were paying her for it. But she was not being honest and wanted me to do other work for her all within the invoice for BG.

Tony
Tony, I am in London (Pinner) this weekend doing work for my son. If you care to pop over, you will see high standard of work carried out by those you feel are substandard:cautious:

Tony I have said this before and say it again.....stop having low opinion of others. Some of these guys you deem to be inferior, could teach you a thing or two

Also, are you implying I work for HA?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A bit of news, I removed the Spartan ET50 to clean it, it was a bit dirty, I tested it on its own and seems to work as designed as per the documentation I read.

Then I pored some water in the pipe going downwards to the CH system (i.e. towards the 3 port valve) and the water came back up straight away. The blockage was confirmed by using a steel wire, it would not go through the pipe very far. Therefore tomorrow I will go to Screwfix and purchase some copper pipes and fittings hoping this will fix this problem.

Another question though; since there is such a drastic blockage, I could well have other ones at other places. What is the best way to clean very 'dirty' pipes on such old installations? (a bit worried that a power flush will exacerbate the problem and just move the sludge from one place to another one)

A DIYer should never do that as it involves removing the firefront.

The blockage at the feedpoint is usually a complex compound of calcium and iron oxides and can be very hard indeed. It hardly responds to anything except HCl and that should not be used in a heating system.

The only way to remove it is usually by mechanical means!

Tony

I have now removed the section of pipe which I knew was blocked for sure (not going to provide a photo but it was really bad), I also noticed a defective automatic air vent connected to the Spartan ET50, it is constantly closed. I manually removed the air from the vent by unscrewing the top cap, this caused the water to fill-in the system, the boiler has now been up for 30 min (had to remove the air from the pump too).

I am not keen to replace the whole air vent, it is connected to a very old expansion tank (i.e Spartan ET50) which I am afraid to damage. Instead I would just like to replace the inner system and top cap, hence I would need to purchase exactly the same AAV. The only think I can say about this AAV is that it is 4cm wide and 5cm hide (no label for pressure...).

AAV with side entry:

AAV with side entry.jpg

Would you know the best place which sells AAV and where I can get the full spec (i.e. dimensions) before purchasing?

Thanks again,
Ant

Last edited:
I doubt that angled ones like that are still available.

Current top parts MIGHT fit but if I was faced with that I would extend it outwards with pipework and fit a normal in line new one.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back