Bay window condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bay window made from wood in good condition.

The bedroom section is double glazed in the thinner type double glazing. Maybe 12mm thick.

This bay creates a lot of condensation. So much that it runs off the cill internally and down the wall.

It needs wiping a lot and so black debris does accumulate around the panes.

I have fitted 3 trickle vents on each side of the bay, but I still have this issue. The house is well insulated and I have a C rating on my EPC.

I use a dehumidifier to help lower the moisture content in the room.

Got the same issue below in the lounge but it’s not as bad even though that window is bigger.

Plus this window has 50% of it in single glazing.

Any ideas on what I could do with these windows. Is it a case of only a pvc replacement will stop the problem?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean 12mm overall?
Or do you mean 12mm cavity 20mm overall?

If it’s 20mm overall, replace with new double glazing with soft coat low e + warm edge spacer + argon gas fill

If it’s 12mm overall consider secondary glazing

Is it modern slimline glazing?

One way to stop the condensation is to put a tube heater on the window cill and have it switched on when the curtains are drawn, it will heat the air in the window reveal.

to clear any condensation on the glass I can strongly recommend a Karcher window vacuum, they suck all the water away rather than a towel which spreads it around and it runs down to the window board

New pvc won't solve it. It will just move it to the next coldest point of the property , Usually a wall behind furniture. You need to look if you are causing excesss moisture in the air , such as drying clothes indoors , cooking or showering with no extractor fans running. The only sure way of reducing the possibility is purge ventilation ( extractor fans and opening windows) . Far from ideal on wet cold days.

Thanks for info on the marcher machine.

We have extractors in the bath and kitchen.

Next door is upvc and doesn’t have this issue.

Will look at the heater as well

Sponsored Links
The glass won't condensate in new double glazing, as its warmer ( exactly as it's designed to do ). Hence your neighbours aren't seeing it, But double glazing doesn't get rid of the water vapour, that's still in the air, so as I said the next coldest point in the house ( usually an external wall ) will start to attract it ... and being a wall you won't notice it dripping wet as the paint/plaster absorbs it...then potentially goes mouldy..

That's interesting thanks for sharing, I have exactly the same situation, although my windows are upvc, but at least 15 years old. The major difference between the rooms are the radiators. In my lounge I have a 1.8m wide 3 column radiator covering almost the bay and in the bedroom I have a 1.2m Type21 radiator, which was even boxed in by the previous owner. The room also feels much colder. I am redoing the bedroom now and in the process will fit a proper sized radiator for the room, which will hopefully improve the situation. But I will also need to sand, fix and re-seal some of the parts of the wooden frame as they really have taken a hit over the years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back