BBQ regulator conundrum, please advise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Hopefully just a simple issue.
I've bought a new gas BBQ with an LPG regulator which won't fit on my Calor Gas bottles.
Would it be okay to merely put the old regulator on?

Many thanks,
Slime.

Sponsored Links
I take it you bought a red, propane regulator to go with the BBQ and want to use the BBQ with butane?

Gas barbies tend nowadays to come with the Calor Patio Gas regulator (also used on Flogas patio and Gaslite, I think).
Red 27mm clip on style.

You can swap the regulator for Butane or Propane... provided the BBQ rating plate says it's designed for that gas type and pressure.

You may need to cut off the pipe to do so and to fit a clip with the existing regulator. They should be replaced every few years I believe.

I take it you bought a red, propane regulator to go with the BBQ and want to use the BBQ with butane?

The BBQ came with a regulator that merely says LPG regulator on it.
It doesn't fit on my existing Calor Gas bottles, that's my conundrum.

Sponsored Links
What colour is it? If your current bottles have butane in them, the regulators are different.
BBQs are designed for propane and the regulators for propane are usually red.

What colour is it? If your current bottles have butane in them, the regulators are different.
BBQs are designed for propane and the regulators for propane are usually red.

The blue Calor Gas bottles are filled with butane.
The new regulator is very silver attached to the BBQ via an orange hose.

The simple answer is yes. Assuming the BBQ didn't come from Ali Baba. All domestic BBQs will work with all domestic LPG regulators. The differences between propane and butane are handled by the regulator.

Okay, I did just swap regulators and everything was hunky dory.
A nice couple of burgrers and no explosions, perfect.
Thanks for your input, inputters.

Slime

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back