Blocking up bedroom airbrick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a large airbrick in an upstairs bedroom (see pictures). It's a 1930s house with cavity walls. No cavity insulation. I'm wondering whether I can block it up.

No open fire or gas heater in the bedroom. There's double glazed windows wkth trickle vents.

I think similar ones have been blocked up in the house and there's been no problems with condensation etc.

I'm not sure what function it'd serve that the window trickle vents wouldn't? Assume its from the days of open/gas fires etc. Seems to open directly into room and doesn't vent loft.

Assume if I were to block it it bricking it and covering with a skim of plaster would be best?

Attachments

• 20240915_114028.jpg
    20240915_114028.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240915_103904.jpg
    20240915_103904.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 12
Sponsored Links
Thanks, was yours a similar situation? Can't see the problem with blocking it up given the windows have vents

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to block the holes in the external vent or you may get unwelcome visitors!
I used silicone applied from the inside, cannot see it from the outside.
Thanks, was yours a similar situation? Can't see the problem with blocking it up given the windows have vents

I'd block it with a bit of plastic (ice cream tub or something) taped over it and see how things fair through the winter/spring, then if all's well block it up properly then.

Can't see the problem with blocking it up given the windows have vents

They were included, in the days of coal fires, to allow plenty of ventilation. Now the only reason for ventilation is to avoid condensation and mould. Best to minimise that, with ventilation fans, extraction, where moisture is generated, at source - bathrooms, cookers, and washing being dried indoors.

Identical situation, I left it open till the DG surveyor said they could not accept it instead of trickle vents as it had no mechanical assistance (bloody stupid trickle vents don't have mechanical assistance). So as usual the law is an ass and I was forced to have trickle vents, hence vent now bricked up in several rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back