Boiler in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We have a combi boiler in the loft conversion. We are going to put an en suite in there (no idea why previous owners didn’t). I was doing some reading and somewhere said it’d need to be rcd protected? Is that right?

It’ll be about 50cm away from an enclosed shower and about 80cm away from a sink (it’s in the corner of the room). Is there anything stopping me from doing this?

I’m going to put a cupboard round the boiler, mostly for aesthetic. From reading I need a 50mm gap all round?

I did try and find the answers in the wiki and other posts but some seem quite old so wary there may be changes in regs.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Boiler needs to be in a cupboard, with the required clearances, according to your boiler.
Thanks for the quick response. Any ideas on the rcd requirement? Reading conflicting info on it so would be good to get an opinion.

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware, any electrical device operating within any of the zones in a bathroom needs to be covered by an RCD. If it's in its own cupboard then that may change that requirement but I'd always err on the side of caution. Shouldn't be difficult to tie an RCD onto the spur feeding the FCU from the CU?

May be an question for the electrical forum?

Have you checked the installation manual for your boiler?
It’s about 10 years old I think. I don’t have one but will look online to see if I can find a copy.

How is it currently wired and will this change?
It’s wired into a fused connection unit. Not looking to change this if it can be helped but I may need to shift the socket slightly closer to the boiler as it’d be outside the cupboard in its current place.

Partly depends on the boiler. Without knowing the make & model it's hard to give accurate guidance
It’s a Vaillant ecotec plus 831

As far as I am aware, any electrical device operating within any of the zones in a bathroom needs to be covered by an RCD. If it's in its own cupboard then that may change that requirement but I'd always err on the side of caution. Shouldn't be difficult to tie an RCD onto the spur feeding the FCU from the CU?

May be a question for the electrical forum?
Fair point. I was hoping the cupboard would negate the issue as it’s safe from splashing. I’m not sure which spurs it’s on. But I could just get a socket with rcd built in instead couldn’t I? Rather than tracing it back to the CU as I can’t touch that myself?

First thing, have a look at your consumer unit(s) (take a pic and share it here if you don't know what you're looking for).
Second, if you are creating an ensuite presumably there will be new cabling for lights etc?- any NEW cabling, lights, sockets must be RCD protected now.

Slightly conflicting information from the 2006 EcoTEC manual to the approx 2012 manual - the latter stating refer to BS7671 electrical wiring regulations.

Attachments

• EA30F001-1E85-47EC-9B79-43A20DD13AF3.jpeg
    EA30F001-1E85-47EC-9B79-43A20DD13AF3.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 259A00B4-A901-4540-9FB1-2F2CC10E3D28.jpeg
    259A00B4-A901-4540-9FB1-2F2CC10E3D28.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 35
First thing, have a look at your consumer unit(s) (take a pic and share it here if you don't know what you're looking for).
Second, if you are creating an ensuite presumably there will be new cabling for lights etc?- any NEW cabling, lights, sockets must be RCD protected now.
Thanks
Picture attached.
F5FF3C82-889B-430D-A837-12A99470901E.jpeg

I had a new boiler installed in a shower room, it was about 2m away from shower and 1m away form sink basin, still passed regs.

Recently I presume? Is the circuit covered by an RCD, if it isn't, then I may be wrong but I don't believe it should have.
Think the 'new cabling etc must be RCD protected' change was about 18 months ago. There are requirements for earth bonding in bathrooms where supplies are not RCD protected which can get complex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back