Boiler in bathroom

Think the 'new cabling etc must be RCD protected' change was about 18 months ago. There are requirements for earth bonding in bathrooms where supplies are not RCD protected which can get complex.
Ah ok, my understanding was that the extended requirement for RCD's within the domestic space (including bathrooms) came in with the 17th Edition, which was way back? Of course I'm not an electrician so couldn't ever say for sure.

@EFLImpudence

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

To answer the original question so may repeat what has been said by others:

We have a combi boiler in the loft conversion. We are going to put an en suite in there (no idea why previous owners didn’t). I was doing some reading and somewhere said it’d need to be rcd protected? Is that right?
Yes, but not exactly.
No appliance must have or needs RCD protection but the new circuit will have to have an RCD for the protection of people.

It’ll be about 50cm away from an enclosed shower and about 80cm away from a sink (it’s in the corner of the room). Is there anything stopping me from doing this?
The basin has no relevance but the supply accessory to the boiler must be more than 60cm. from the edge of the shower opening.
Socket and plug not allowed so it will have to be a connector of some sort - either a Fused Connector Unit or a simple Flex Outlet fed from somewhere else.

People argue whether "in a cupboard" negates the requirements. I would say it does - as does the bathroom door - but it does not seem to be actually stated anywhere reliable.
Either way it is not a problem to use the same methods inside the cupboard.

Thank you.

To answer the original question so may repeat what has been said by others:

Yes, but not exactly.
No appliance must have or needs RCD protection but the new circuit will have to have an RCD for the protection of people.

The basin has no relevance but the supply accessory to the boiler must be more than 60cm. from the edge of the shower opening.
Socket and plug not allowed so it will have to be a connector of some sort - either a Fused Connector Unit or a simple Flex Outlet fed from somewhere else.

People argue whether "in a cupboard" negates the requirements. I would say it does - as does the bathroom door - but it does not seem to be actually stated anywhere reliable.
Either way it is not a problem to use the same methods inside the cupboard.
F603EDB0-3FE2-47AD-8EFA-2C63485B7F7F.jpeg

Picture shows current set up. I’ve left the shower tray where it’s going to illustrate. How close can the supply be to the boiler? Would sticking it within the cupboard be sufficient to negate the 60cm issue?

Picture shows current set up. I’ve left the shower tray where it’s going to illustrate. How close can the supply be to the boiler?
You mean how close can it be to the shower ???

I am afraid my wording has confused you.

I should have written:
Socket and plug not allowed in bathroom (except more than 3m away)
switches not allowed unless more than 60cm away from shower opening
so in zone 2 it will have to be a connector of some sort - either a Fused Connector Unit or a simple Flex Outlet fed from somewhere else.

Sorry about that.

The accessory shown is allowed to be in zone 2 - so it looks like it only needs moving to the left a little.

1684245284704.png

Would sticking it within the cupboard be sufficient to negate the 60cm issue?
Makes no difference to the item in the picture.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the cable remains vertical or horizontal to the new position.
How come? I’m probably going to try and stick it in the cupboard I’ll make for the boiler just so it’s out of sight. Is there a distance it has to be away from the boiler? Putting it in the cupboard probably means going diagonally down to the left.
You mean how close can it be to the shower ???

I am afraid my wording has confused you.

I should have written:
Socket and plug not allowed in bathroom (except more than 3m away)
switches not allowed unless more than 60cm away from shower opening
so in zone 2 it will have to be a connector of some sort - either a Fused Connector Unit or a simple Flex Outlet fed from somewhere else.

Sorry about that.

The accessory shown is allowed to be in zone 2 - so it looks like it only needs moving to the left a little.

View attachment 303628

Makes no difference to the item in the picture.
Thank you, that’s really helpful. I think I was asking a different question but the clarification did help me understand it better.

What I meant was, is there a rule where you can’t put the fcu too close to the boiler?

Ie underneath the boiler here? Appreciate the flow in from that pipe might be in the way behind the wall.
37EECCEC-5300-4E44-8232-7E8F0D357781.jpeg

How come?
Of course - referring to the supply cable; not the one to the boiler.
If a cable is not visible, it gives an indication where a cable might be buried in the wall.

I’m probably going to try and stick it in the cupboard I’ll make for the boiler just so it’s out of sight. Is there a distance it has to be away from the boiler?
Not really. Just common sense.

Putting it in the cupboard probably means going diagonally down to the left.
Ok - just go straight down until you get to the floor.

Thank you, that’s really helpful. I think I was asking a different question but the clarification did help me understand it better.
What I meant was, is there a rule where you can’t put the fcu too close to the boiler?
Ie underneath the boiler here? Appreciate the flow in from that pipe might be in the way behind the wall.
Ok. As above.

Of course - referring to the supply cable; not the one to the boiler.
If a cable is not visible, it gives an indication where a cable might be buried in the wall.

Not really. Just common sense.

Ok - just go straight down until you get to the floor.

Ok. As above.
Ah got it. The supply cable. Makes sense! Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back