Boiler not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Profile (Gas Boiler), which is not firing up at the moment, so I have got no hot water now (As the immersion heater is also broken)

The pump is working, but the boiler is not working, on hot water, CH or both.

The presure in the tank is ok, & I have checked that the reset button on the bottom of the boiler has not poped out.

Here is a picture of the boiler (It is up in the loft):

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/mdbalson/PA010134.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/mdbalson/PA010135.jpg

Has anyone got any ideas of what the problem could be :?:

Sponsored Links
The boiler worked this morning :!: where as last night it would not work

Could it be that the timer/programmer in the airing cupboard needs to be replaced :?: As it does not always turn on the hot water or the CH, when it is set to come on.

And if the timer/programmer needs to be replaced, how easy are they to change :?:

mdbalson said:
And if the timer/programmer needs to be replaced, how easy are they to change :?:

Its easy if you know how!

Its impossible if you dont!

Can I suggest that you also get the immersion heater replaced at the same time as the whole point of that is as a back up heat source in case the boiler is not working. Somehow I get the feeling you are one of the people who knows its faulty but dont make any effort to fix it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Can I suggest that you also get the immersion heater replaced at the same time as the whole point of that is as a back up heat source in case the boiler is not working. Somehow I get the feeling you are one of the people who knows its faulty but dont make any effort to fix it.

Tony

I have not replaced the immersion heater yet, as I have not had time, & also the immersion heater needs to be put onto its own circuit.

So do you think that it Could it be that the timer/programmer in the airing cupboard needs to be replaced

If the pump is always working when requested I would think it is a fault with your boiler, as the timer controls boiler and pump.

Is the boiler completely dead, or can you hear the fan running?

If fan is running then try tapping gas valve or pcb when not working to see if that brings it on.

Why does it look like your pressure guage reads zero?

Would also try the tapping of the PCB as dave said. Wouldnt advise to start opening up the the combustion chamber cover!

Best boiler ever!

rob884 said:
Why does it look like your pressure guage reads zero?

Would also try the tapping of the PCB as dave said. Wouldnt advise to start opening up the the combustion chamber cover!

Best boiler ever!

Because it is a old picture

Could it be that the programmer is not always switching on the CH or HW wire

mdbalson said:

If the pump is always working when requested I would think it is a fault with your boiler, as the timer controls boiler and pump.

gas4you said:
mdbalson said:

It worked this morning, but would not work last night.

The programmer will need changing as it does not always work.

mdbalson said:
The pump is working, but the boiler is not working, on hot water, CH or both.

If this statement of yours is always true I still think it is a boiler fault :rolleyes:

I had a customer call me last week with that programer claiming it dont work.
the thing with them when you set the timer you have to press copy for each day!
easily over looked,as for replacing its very easy to change just copy the wiring.

but i agree if the pumps on the programers calling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back