Brick Laying Temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

If I get a significant amount of laying done mid November, is this likely to cause problems in terms of mortar setting?

I know it is best for temperatures not to fall below 4C when the work is being done. The NHBC seems to say lower than that is fine if temperatures are rising. I'm guessing they mean earlier in the day as it is warming up?

So what if my work is being done during the day, finishing up towards 4pm, and then temperatures drop over night to below 4C... problem?

Sponsored Links
The brickies I have seen in that situation would throw a cover of some sort over the section they have done that day to stop frost or rain damage.

Hi all,

If I get a significant amount of laying done mid November, is this likely to cause problems in terms of mortar setting?
Not especially. You just have to time the brick laying with more diligence than during the warmer months. You can lay all year round. It's just the opportunities are fewer during the colder months. My advice is to watch what the temp's are likely to be at night, as well as daytime. Get a 50m roll of hessian sacking too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back