Building an annex, is Building Safety Act 2022 applicable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to build a single storey annex in the garden. Our prospective builder has raised the issue of needing to work within the recent Building Safety Act and made quite a big deal about it which seems odd because to me they appear to address higher risk (i.e. 18m+ tall) buildings in light of the Grenfell fire. On the other hand our architect didn't make a big deal of this and said working along CDM lines would still be the normal way to complete a small domestic project like ours.

Is one party being over zealous in applying the rules inappropriately or is the other being too relaxed?

Am I worrying too much and just make sure I perform my duties under BSA (check competence, somehow, share all relevant info, assign PD for the design phase and PC) and leave the rest of the worrying to the trades?

I'm a bit lost, the guidance online all appears to be geared for professional eyes. I obviously do want the job done legally, safely and professionally but I am concerned that opposing stances on the rules will exclude contractors who don't agree or just aren't willing. Finding decent trades with availability locally is a nightmare so I would hate to unnecessarily narrow our options. I know someone will say any trade worth working with will be receptive to the changes in the rules but theory is different to practise.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The BSA applies to "high risk" buildings, but not those just over 18m. It can apply to low-rise buildings, but they would be of multiple occupancy - HMO, multi-residential, care homes, student accommodation and suchlike. It does not apply to single domestic houses.

CDM does apply regardless, and the client's duties under this are very similar.

Be wary about what other things the builder "knows" about. :rolleyes: Especially where there are costs or work involved in his favour.

Thanks for the advice, it felt like overkill, I'm not sure why the builder felt so strongly about the issue, I'll challenge anyone who thinks this applies and see how they react.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back