Cadent broke up concrete path next to house - any issues with the work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
In the last few days, Cadent have replaced the gas pipe running to my house, which included jackhammering a concrete path with is next to the building.

I have attached a before picture and a few afters. They eventually found the pipe, which was encased in concrete and was running parallel, and just alongside, the wooden fence.

The wall on the left is the main house. Behind the house is a brick outbuilding, and the two building are connected by a tiled porch area (which has a brick wall on the left side of the photo, and a flat roof which is continuous from the rear section of the house, over the porch area and onto the outbuilding).

The wooden door in the photo opens up onto the porch area.

As you will be able to see from the photos, they have broken the concrete somewhat under the door. I have looked at the tiled floor behind the door and cannot see any obvious damage to the tiles.

I'm hoping to get advice on two things.

1) Should I have any concerns in terms of the way the work has been done (in regards to potential damage to the buildings)
2) Is there anything I should specifically raise with them before the hole is filled (in terms of how the work should be carried out and checked)

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1) Should I have any concerns in terms of the way the work has been done (in regards to potential damage to the buildings)
2) Is there anything I should specifically raise with them before the hole is filled (in terms of how the work should be carried out and checked)

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Concerns about what exactly?

As an aside, you should NOT build over a gas main. The gas company has the right to access their pipes.

I just want to make sure that the work is being done properly, both in terms of not causing damage to the building and also that it is being reinstated properly.

They turned up this morning to "fill the hole with stones" before the concrete is poured later.

I had expected to see an MOT type fill, but this is what they have put in (and whacked).

Does it look OK?

The buried pipe is just the supply pipe from the street, which runs under the concrete drive and then along under the concrete path. I don't know the history of the construction.

Sponsored Links
Isn't it just what was already there?
Well, they took away everything that they originally dug out, concrete, soil and any sub-base so I can really only go on what is left. It looks like there is a rubble sub-base (broken bricks and stuff) under the remaining path.

They turned up today with a grabber lorry and said that they were putting in stones and compacting, but it just looks like soil/sand to me. All the larger bits on the surface are, I think, just bits that were left at the edges after the demolition and have been brushed back on top.

It may, perhaps, be fine in that location, but I just want to check that it is OK before it gets covered in concrete.

Well, they took away everything that they originally dug out, concrete, soil and any sub-base so I can really only go on what is left. It looks like there is a rubble sub-base (broken bricks and stuff) under the remaining path.

They turned up today with a grabber lorry and said that they were putting in stones and compacting, but it just looks like soil/sand to me. All the larger bits on the surface are, I think, just bits that were left at the edges after the demolition and have been brushed back on top.

It may, perhaps, be fine in that location, but I just want to check that it is OK before it gets covered in concrete.
It's fine.
Don't stand over them, but offer a cup of tea and a Kitkat and 'encourage' them to make a decent job of trowelling it all flush with the existing.

It's absolutely fine, the only comment I would make, is that edge of old concrete nearest the camera - would have looked better had it been cut straight/at right angles to the walls..

Thanks for all the responses.

They can today to finish off, when I was out. They used a single barrow of mix and were there 5 minutes (CCTV).

Does the mix look right? (looks more like a mortar than concrete to my untrained eye)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks for all the responses.

They can today to finish off, when I was out. They used a single barrow of mix and were there 5 minutes (CCTV).

Does the mix look right? (looks more like a mortar than concrete to my untrained eye)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Looks like screed sand.

It'll be ok.

Keep it and the surroundings wet to prevent cracking. Chuck a watering can over it a couple of times a day for a few days.

Ideally cover it once wet.

Had a guy come around today from Cadent (or one of their contractors, not quite sure). He said that the mix wasn't what he would expect (sharp sand but no aggregate), but that it seemed to be drying solid (not rubbing off the surface).

He did offer to have it replaced if I wanted to, but also suggested that I could let it completely dry first and decide if I was happy.

Bit disappointed that they haven't used the mix that they are supposed to, but very pleased with how responsive Cadent are.

Still not quite sure what to do with it.

Bit disappointed that they haven't used the mix that they are supposed to, but very pleased with how responsive Cadent are.

Still not quite sure what to do with it.

It's a path, really ought to be concrete - mortar, including aggregate for strength, and reinforcement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back