Can I install a normal 3 pin plug where a fused spur once was, for a pool heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi forum,

Firstly apologies if the wrong terminology is used, I will clarify if needed.

Can I install a normal 3 pin plug where a fused spur once was, for a pool heater? detail below:

I have a redundant 13A fused spur which was previously used for an old electric heater*. I have recently bought one of these above ground pools and invested in a 2.8kW pool heater to take the edge off a cold pool.

Originally I had planned to use a regular indoor socket (no extension lead) to plug the pool heater into, but then I thought why not make use of the fused spur. My very limited understanding is that the fuse spur would have been installed to support the load required for the space heater in the first place so why not use this for pool heating.

I don't want to "hard wire" the pool pump into the spur, as the pool and pump will only be used during the summer, and I could then use the 3 pin socket to plug my 1.5kw panel heater into during the winter (for space heating).

Is this wise? possible? easy? not recommended? Is it as simple as removing the fused spur plate and installing a 3 pin socket?

All the above takes place in my garage, which has its own consumer unit and each fused spur used for heating has its own breaker. (It passed an electrical safety test last year when we had the bathroom done). Its all been fully plaster boarded and insulated.

*I believe the old space heater was 3kW, I cannot be sure as the original has been thrown away, although there is an identical one on another fused spur in the same garage, it has no model number or serial number that I can find. I have only been able to find what looks like the same heater through an extensive google search, which was rated as a 3KW heater. (The old one does heat the place up very very quickly).

Any guidance is appreciated. Just want to be as safe as possible yet avoid any unnecessary work.

Sponsored Links
Don't see why not as long as it is properly fused and all other aspects are safe and up to standard. In some ways its safer beecause you can simply unplug for maintenance or downtime.

How big, exactly is this "pool"? Is there a deep end, diving boards, etc?

There are very specific requirements for anywhere that water and electrics are in close proximity. Please provide more information.

Sponsored Links
Don't see why not as long as it is properly fused and all other aspects are safe and up to standard. In some ways its safer beecause you can simply unplug for maintenance or downtime.
Thanks Blup:

Does the circuit have RCD protection?
Thanks Murcochcat,

So - I think so, but not entirely sure. I will try and explain the set up as best possible: The electrics in the garage have a consumer unit on the wall in the garage. There is a main/master RCD that says 100A 240/115v, their are 6 smaller RCDs (Ring, Skirting, Heat 1, Heat 2, Heat 3, Lights). These don't give a rating on them. I will post a picture in a moment.

Thanks,

So - I think so, but not entirely sure. I will try and explain the set up as best possible: The electrics in the garage have a consumer unit on the wall in the garage. There is a main/master RCD that says 100A 240/115v, their are 6 smaller RCDs (Ring, Skirting, Heat 1, Heat 2, Heat 3, Lights). These don't give a rating on them. I will post a picture in a moment.

That's not likely. Probably a picture would be best.

How big, exactly is this "pool"? Is there a deep end, diving boards, etc?

There are very specific requirements for anywhere that water and electrics are in close proximity. Please provide more information.
Thanks Taylortwocities,

It is a 3m x 0.7m above ground steel frame pool. No deep end or diving boards (sadly). The plug is inside the garage. There is an external plug socket (but this essentially an IP66 rated extension lead, going through the wall into a different plug inside). The spur in question is aprox 1m from the window, the pool will be approx 2m from the window and about 3.5m from the external plug socket/extension lead.

Consumer unit in garage

Attachments

• Garage CU.jpg
    Garage CU.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 35
There's no RCD in this consumer unit, just a main switch and a row of MCBs, a B32 for the ring, several B16s for "socket" and "heat" and a B6 for the lights. How is the garage connected at the house?

There's no RCD in this consumer unit, just a main switch and a row of MCBs, a B32 for the ring, several B16s for "socket" and "heat" and a B6 for the lights. How is the garage connected at the house?
Thanks Ragnar_AT,

It is connected via this consumer unit in the main house. Next to the main CU under the stairs. I see this one says RCD at least.

1723809037833.png

Pool/hot tub heaters tend to have built in safety device , does yours?
Thanks foxhole,

The heater has a PRCD incorporated in the power cord. according the booklet "If the leakage current is detected more than 10mA the device will operate and cut-off the power supply".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back