Can I install a normal 3 pin plug where a fused spur once was, for a pool heater?

So that has answered the RCD question, you have two, as to 3 pin plug instead of FCU yes as said before, good idea to disconnect the earth as well as line and neutral for equipment used outside, so loss of PEN will only present a danger when in use. Which I have also said before.

Sponsored Links
Ideally the RCD should be replaced (it’s only a Type AC, which means it only detects AC fault currents, while current RCDs are Type A and can detect specific kinds of DC fault currents too) before you add a socket to that circuit but I‘m not sure if it’s an outright breach of the regs if you install an additional socket with AC-only protection.

The nasty bit about AC RCDs is that some things like computer power supplies can cause DC fault currents that numb an AC RCD (saturate the trip coil) and prevent it from tripping even if there was an additional AC fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back