Can I plane this ridge beam down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve been trying to convert my shed, which the previous owner had as a pretty decent workshop (that I just filled with junk), into a gym. The headroom isn’t quite enough for decent clearance on the treadmill and I’ve already removed the bulky fluorescent light fittings, and am replacing them with flushed downlights. There are also a series of planks going along the ceiling peak, which I think is a ridge beam. Ideally I’d like to plane these down to be flush with the ceiling, but wanted to check with this forum that it’s going to threaten the structural integrity by doing so, or if I’d need to reinforce them. Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpeg
    IMG_0436.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
my suggestion
replace ridge beam[probably damage roof felt] with 38x63 cls flat supported both ends and off the tie bar that must stay in case your tempted
iff the roof sags at all this is the time to take it out

Thanks. I have already replaced the roofing felt, but was hoping just to reduce the profile of the current beams. Are you suggesting that’s probably not possible and I’ll need to replace the ridge beam? Not sure how I would go about that, presumably I’d need to keep the rafters pulled apart whilst switching it in? Planing the current boards down seems easier if possible! If the rafters don’t even touch the bottom few inches of the board, is there any structural benefit?

Sponsored Links
simple answer is i dont know
i was trying to replace what's there with something a bit stronger and shallower to beef up what doesnt look the bests
are the roof board and ridge physically secured together full length[stronger]or a small amount[weaker]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back