Can I repair this or best to go Professional?

Is all that damage in the ceiling below that little slate roof, because the roof looks to be in a right state, with no flashing too

Had someone call out today. He had a look at the damage from the inside and said just get a plaster out to stick some plasterboard on it and then skim over, he then said I could do it myself. He wasn't too bothered about that. I said the leaking has stopped but he said the roof all needs removing and the slates which can be saved will be used and then reroofed with new battons etc with new and existing slates. Will be getting the quote through in a bit.

He said on a low sloping pitched roof you should not use tiles but keep to existing slates.

Sponsored Links
No one is bothering which such a job - the good ones are too busy to do small work and the ones that are available are not turning up. So reading up, is it best to go with a plasterboard plus multifinish or just use bonding plaster for the ceiling?

So I attached some roof batten to the lathe and plaster ceiling and then used Siroflex SX Mighty Strength to glue the plasterboard to the ceiling and walls - now I have some gaps, whats the best way to fill these gaps? Use standard filler or something else?

I know I have to apply plasterboard joint tape on all the corners and edges. But whats the best way to fill in the gaps? Use sealant or decorators caulk?

Attachments

• 20160420_160734.jpg
    20160420_160734.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20160420_160738.jpg
    20160420_160738.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Its hard to advise you when you dont appear to listen to whats been offered. But for what its worth:

Your plaster boards are very neatly cut in and fixed.
However, you seem to have simply covered over much of the damaged woodwork and neglected to treat what could be dry rot or some kind of fungal damage in your ceiling.
Using roof laths is wrong and your plaster board has now become proud to the surface under the polysterene tiles.
You can use any kind of filler to bridge the gaps then tape over.

Your problem was and still is the lower roof area directly above the damage.
I can now see a photo of the lower roof and, as above, it needs renewing.
You might find if the roof is opened up that your recent efforts will need re-doing.
Given the dark splash area in the photo, has your neighbour complained of a damp wall?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back