Can you buy ready made insulated walls?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to turn a garden shed into a mini office.

Just wondering if you can buy ready made pieces, like base, 4 walls and 2 pieces for the roof.

I've seen videos about Elon Musks cheap home - built from ready made pieces.

For me, insulation is the most important part! I want to be warm when it gets cold!

I'm sure what I want doesn't exist just yet. But is there anything that comes close?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
These guys can help....

I built my double garage with them and very quick, easy to build and strong. I have no connection to the firm but was very happy with the product and service.... and other similar firms are on the internet too so worth browsing.

Just wondering if you can buy ready made pieces, like base, 4 walls and 2 pieces for the roof.

For me, insulation is the most important part! I want to be warm when it gets cold!

I'm sure what I want doesn't exist just yet. But is there anything that comes close?

Thanks.
Yes, it’s a well known technology known as SIPs Structurally Insulated Panels.

In simple terms they are made with 2 sheets of OSB board, spaced apart and the middle filled with foam PIR insulation, the end result is a very strong panel. But it’s quite expensive.

For what you want, buying studwork and sheets of insulation will be cheaper.

Sponsored Links
It's quite a well known technology. There has been a few "factory made" houses on grand designs over the years.

Crazy to see a team of builders build a house in 3 days- they can even come ready painted and finished flooring already inplace

Jehovah's Witnesses have been doing it for decades, their churches arrive in kit form and they put them up in a few days using mostly volunteers from the congregation.

Also McDonalds make all their Drive-Thru places in a factory and put them together on-site.

Thanks.
What are you using to heat it?

Why don't you just approach any old builder or carpenter with some nouse and some room and ask them to make you some.

These guys can help....

I built my double garage with them and very quick, easy to build and strong. I have no connection to the firm but was very happy with the product and service.... and other similar firms are on the internet too so worth browsing.
Me too, great service, but just to note they don't give 'structural warranties' on their panels- but you could get an SE to do the sums.

Heat: electrical heater.

I came across this video:

I can't understand the accent and can't figure out the company name. But... then it would be an American company, so no good for me I guess. I was thinking the technology must be available in the UK as well?

Sips panels. Aah yes, I'd looked into many years ago. Does it come with the roof? How much did the cladding cost? How much would a double glazed door cost? As for insulation... the panels looked pretty thin?

We all know that these panel makers keep shed sized panels in stock ?? (Not):)

Why not buy kingspan sheets to insulate it, or maybe plasterboard with insulation already on it?

Sips panels. Aah yes, I'd looked into many years ago. Does it come with the roof? How much did the cladding cost? How much would a double glazed door cost? As for insulation... the panels looked pretty thin?
You can get panels from 97mm to 147mm from Simply Sips. 8 x 4 of the 97mm one is c£75 each. Yes, you can have roof panels too. 2.9m wide three pane bifold and a 1.2m wide fixed window £1800.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back