Can you get a shock from a 230v supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Is it possible to receive an electric shock from a 230v mains supply?

Or do you have to also be in simultaneous contact with a neutral circuit conductor or an earth conductor?

Sponsored Links
To get a significant shock there has to be two (or more) points of contact with the body and these points of contact must be at different potentials to each other.

Birds can perch on 11kV over head cables because both feet are on the same wire and therefor at the same potential.

Hello again bernard it's been a long time,

I thought the answer would be something like that.

I've just spent quite a long time getting to the bottom of why there is so much confusion over earthing and the issue of whether or not you can get a shock from 230v is about 50% of the problem, the people who have written the 17th Edition don't/didn't believe it's possible to get a shock at all from such a small supply voltage!

Can you define 'significant' because as little as 2mA can in truth be fatal if the duration of the shock is long enough, the subject of bonding verses RCD's is all about duration really.

In my experience touching one phase is more than enough for it to hurt! And equally, people die putting a 9v battery on there tongue.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
In my experience touching one phase is more than enough for it to hurt! And equally, people die putting a 9v battery on there tongue.

Daniel

Can you support that statement, where's the "news story"- I'm a cynic..

Can you support that statement, where's the "news story"- I'm a cynic..
Well who knows, the point really is diffrent things effect diffrent people diffrently but taking risks isnt a great idea.

Daniel

do-not-feed-the-troll-2c.png

Do-not-feed-the-troll-2c.png[/img]
But im hungry and Chris might be too.... :p

But no, back to topic, most people, standing on most floors, will get a shock from touching a single phase. And some people, on some floors, may get enough for it to be fatal, although if the circuit is protected with a 30mA rcd, the rcd should trip before it becomes fatal.

I know someone whos electrian apprently used to test for live with his fingar, running it along the busbars till he found the dead one, but afaik this is rare!

Daniel

It could be entertaining to watch Mr.Cockburn and Salad having a long intercourse.

The floor is yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back