Cannot find outside water stopcock (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New here!!

We live in a 1930S Semi-detached detached. Ours and next door were built in 1937 and quite a few years before any of the surrounding houses. So originally they stood alone and are different to all the houses that now surround us.

We are in the middle of a kitchen extension and have got to the point where the plumber is doing the first fix plumbing. Now the old wall has been knocked through my mains water supply pipe is now coming up right in the middle of my new kitchen so obviously has to be moved. We cannot locate the outside shut off for the water. Every other house in the street has one clearly visible except for us.
Since the work started parts of the old kitchen floor are up and we can clearly see we are on a shared supply with next door. The water comes into our house first from the front and the pipe runs straight to the kitchen at the back of the house, at this point the pipe branches into two with one side going under a lintel and into next door, the other goes to our supply in the now middle of our kitchen.

We've searched both gardens and everywhere we can think of.
I rang Yorkshire water who were useless and told me they do not keep records of people's shut off taps so couldn't help.

The plumber is coming tomorrow and I am concerned he will not be able to shut off the water supply.

I am not talking about the internal stopcock here, that is in my kitchen attached to the main supply pipe that needs moving. The pipe needs cutting before this point.

Is it possible we do not have an outside shut off tap?????

Sponsored Links
No and we can't have one as we are on a shared supply. If we have a meter we and next door would have to have complete new pipework,

UPDATE So further to my OP the plumber came out today and refused to do anything saying he can't shut the water off so can't do anything plus the pipes are lead and he won't touch them.

I knew the pipes were lead and pre warned my building firm but they didn't relay this to the plumber.

I have spent most of the afternoon on phone to anyone at Yorkshire water to help us and they are worse than useless. I have manged to arrange an appointment for them to come out and locate our outside shut off tap but earliest they can come is 12th Sept....I honestly don't think they'll find it.

I hopefully have an independent plumber coming out tomorrow to give advice (god knows how much this is going to cost but quite frankly don't care)

Completely defeated tonight,

Sponsored Links
UPDATE So further to my OP the plumber came out today and refused to do anything saying he can't shut the water off so can't do anything plus the pipes are lead and he won't touch them.

I knew the pipes were lead and pre warned my building firm but they didn't relay this to the plumber.

I have spent most of the afternoon on phone to anyone at Yorkshire water to help us and they are worse than useless. I have manged to arrange an appointment for them to come out and locate our outside shut off tap but earliest they can come is 12th Sept....I honestly don't think they'll find it.

I hopefully have an independent plumber coming out tomorrow to give advice (god knows how much this is going to cost but quite frankly don't care)

Completely defeated tonight,
Welcome to the world of construction.

Personally I think you might be best renewing the lead pipe and split supply with MDPE pipe.

The problem you have is you need a connection to the existing lead pipe which will end up under the floor of your kitchen.

Do you have soft water, as it can increase lead levels in drinking water

Tell them they shouldn't be billing you because your water comes water from an underground aquifer. They will send someone round pretty quickly.

We work regularly in Yorkshire water area what you have found is typical.
They will only attend quickly if you have a 'dire emergency '
When asked to define that they say you have to have a uncontrolled leak flooding out of door!
Has as been suggested decent plumber with freezing kit way to go.

Last edited:
Yes we have soft water.
If that's the case, you really do need to replace the lead pipes. Soft water will leach significant amounts of lead from the pipes and water drawn first thing in the morning which has stood in the lead piping overnight will have excess lead concentration in it. As a temporary measure, you should always run the water to waste for a reasonable time each time you draw any for drinking or food preparation.
In hard water areas, lead contamination is not a significant problem because the salts in the water get deposited on the inside of the lead pipes and prevent lead leaching from them.

You need to get in touch with your water supplier and tell them the problem. They'll send a handy chap out with ways to find your buried stopcock, possibly under the pavement - have you looked along the road to see if any are visible?

plus the pipes are lead and he won't touch them
:LOL: ...... As suggested, he's not a plumber and cant be called a plumber if he won't touch lead. Don't have him back.

The origins of the word plumber meant - "a worker in any sort of lead" (roofs, gutters, pipes), from Old French plomier "lead-smelter" (Modern French plombier) and directly from Latin plumbarius "worker in lead.

Is it possible we do not have an outside shut off tap
Always possible yes and freezing may be one of the only 2 options - the other would be to snatch it with a universal adapter (philmac/plasson) with a valve and hose connected.

Certainly should be the water transporters responsibility though if the rest of the street has them.

Ask the water company to test your drinking water for lead content. Do that first, and today.

Later, ask your water supplier if they have a Lead Replacement Policy.

There might be a subsidy.

:LOL: ...... As suggested, he's not a plumber and cant be called a plumber if he won't touch lead. Don't have him back.

The origins of the word plumber meant - "a worker in any sort of lead" (roofs, gutters, pipes), from Old French plomier "lead-smelter" (Modern French plombier) and directly from Latin plumbarius "worker in lead.
Yeah, what have the Romans ever done for us??

TBF on the "plumber" I wouldn't expect a 30 year old to know how to wipe a joint any more than to repair a leaded window. At least he had the good sense to decline a job he wasn't confident of completing!

Now, where's that shave hook I retired 30 years ago.. And the moleskins..

:mad: I won't mention how the turnpin got repurposed...:mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back