Cannot find outside water stopcock (Ed.)

Yeah, what have the Romans ever done for us??
Well .. they gave us the aquaduct and sanitation oh and then there's the roads, education ..... ;)

Wholly agree that a young plumber won't know nor be expected to know how wipe or manipulate lead pipe the traditional and trusted way but also TBF, there are a whole handful of universal fittings and adapters to convert lead pipe to a more modern equivalent, so TBH I would certainly hope that they would been trained and know how to clean up/round out the pipe and then use a saw properly and use the fittings properly

Sponsored Links
Educcashun? Wot about the Pax Romana?

Although Tacitus ascribes to the Caledonian chieftan Calgacus, referring to the Romans,

"Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium, atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."
sometimes translated in short as "they make a wasteland and call it peace"

Mind you, Tacitus was not there at the time and might have been indulging in a bit of poetic licentiousness.

Forgive my ramblings, i'm getting old ; "Timor mortis conturbat me"

The idea of snatching with plasson/philmac UTC with open valve and hose as an alternative to freezing is, of course, a bloody good one.

Has the OP tried turning off the neighbours stop cock?
If it's a shared supply then surely the stopcock could be on the neighbours property?

Has the OP tried turning off the neighbours stop cock?
If it's a shared supply then surely the stopcock could be on the neighbours property?
The water comes into our house first from the front and the pipe runs straight to the kitchen at the back of the house, at this point the pipe branches into two with one side going under a lintel and into next door

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back