Cant get carpet to grip o to grippers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fit a new carpet and struggling.

I'm using 12mm plushwalk underlay so have fitted the grippers with a slight shim to bring them flush with the underlay. The carpet is a heavy duty wool loop, and the backing is very stiff. Other carpets I've fitted and all the videos I've seen are lovely and flexible. This is very difficult to fold and crease into the edges.

When I try to stretch the carpet over the grippers and crease the edge with the tucker it just pops back up. I've even tried pre-cutting one corner to the finished size before stretching, but it still won't hold.

I've heard you can get long pin grippers but this carpet isn't deep.

Any suggestions?
1000000941.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240928_084336_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240928_084336_Photos.jpg
    888.3 KB · Views: 12
Sponsored Links
Not my area....but maybe longer pin carpet gripper would be better

I thought that too but when I test an offcut of carpet on the grippers it's fine. Also not a thick carpet I think long pin might poke through
20240928_111929.jpg

Use carpet tacks through to gripper as a fix

I've used a staple gun

Sponsored Links
You need to cut the carpet tight to the bottom of the skirting and then stretch it before trying to tuck it in to the gripper.
In post #3 it looks like you are offering the carpet up to the nails on underside of the gripper. Are you sure you have the gripper fitted the correct way round?

The gripper also looks a little close to the skirting to me?
And stating the obvious, this type of carpet needs a lot of downward force on the stretcher, as well as the knee kick - are you pushing your weight down into it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back