Car tax price Welsh v English

Sponsored Links
It's all very well cracking a joke like that, but a consequence is that you promote that lie, which makes people have a negative view of lower speed limits and more inclined to disregard them.

It's all very well cracking a joke like that, but a consequence is that you promote that lie, which makes people have a negative view of lower speed limits and more inclined to disregard them.

I was at our office in Wales last week, and asked the manager there how they got on with it.

"We just ignore it, unless we see a copper", was his reply.

I'm all for speed limits, but they have to be appropriate : otherwise, they'll be - rightly - ignored.

Sponsored Links
20mph IS appropriate.

And what should happen to those who ignore the law because THEY think THEY are entitled to do it because THEY think it inappropriate is that they find in the space of less than a week that totting-up has got them banned from driving.

Seriously - just where the )*$($& do you get off thinking it is right for people to break traffic laws which you, or they, disagree with?

Who's cracking a joke? Which do you think will give the most economical figures and the worse pollution - a car going along at 20mph in second or one going 30/40mph in fourth/top?

20mph IS appropriate.
Outside a school maybe, at school time.
Or around a care home, but surely not on a dual carriageway.
That 20mph simply proves that the pollution narrative it's all a con to charge us more tax.
By "us" I mean those who pay tax, not the leeches who live on handouts and preach for more tax increase.

Well that’s partly correct but unless you are a higher rate tax payer you are not a net contributor
How much VAT do you think people on average earnings pay?

What did you think is the top rate of Capital Gains Tax for the wealthy?

A person earning £36,000 a year pays £156.16 National Insurance per month

A person earning £360,000 a year pays £767.50 National Insurance per month

Which of them is paying the higher rate?

I am sure every car has a sweet speed where it does the most miles per gallon, many years ago I had a Honda P50 which claimed 254 MPG at 16 MPH on a level paved road. It was 68 miles from Shotton where I lived to Towyn where I was working, and I could just about do it at full throttle all the way on a tank full, 0.6 gallon.

The car is a Jaguar XE which is automatic, with an 8 speed gear box, 2-wheel drive, engine output 163 I think, it has same engine as son's XE, but wife's was £30 a year tax, but his approx £160 a year, only difference was the set-up of the engine management and his 4-wheel drive. And in general, he gets more miles per gallon, likely the way he drives it.

The Jag never had the option of less than one year tax, and since can't read the Welsh no idea why the tax rate is higher in the Welsh version.

The new speed limit is a bit daft, that's what happens when Labour are in charge, but my complaint is knowing what the speed limit is, when one sees a 20 or 30 MPH sign, one can drive at that speed, but neither seem to have repeater signs, so you have no idea what the speed limit is, some 20 stretches do have 20 MPH repeaters, and some 30 sketches also have 30 MPH repeaters, but there does not seem to be any consistency in how the limits are signed, and missing Welcome to England and Welcome to Wales signs, means one does not always know if in England or Wales, one village is changes in centre of the road so during Colvid pub on side was open, and other side closed, lucky it's a 40 MPH speed limit so no 20 in one direction and 30 in other direction.

20mph IS appropriate.

Outside a school maybe, at school time.
Or around a care home, but surely not on a dual carriageway.
There are plenty of 30mph dual carriageways, but only in built-up areas. I have covered many miles in Wales since the law change and not yet travelled on a 20mph dual carriageway, but if there are any, they would be in a previously 30mph area.

You make it sound as if Welsh dual carriageways are restricted to 20mph along their entire lengths.

If you think about your average journey along 30mph roads, a large proportion of that would be driven at or below 20mph anyway. It really isn't a big deal to drop to 20.

Imagine the limit in a built-up area had always been 20 instead of 30. You wouldn't have an issue with it. 20 makes sense.

If you want to drive fast, go on a private road or track.

Sponsored Links
Back