CAT6 cable, shielded or unshielded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of installing a Reolink CCTV system in my home. So far I have run 3 cat6 UTP cables to 3 cameras but I am stuck on my cable run for a video doorbell.

This run will have to run alongside a ring main circuit and the lighting circuit as well as various light switch wires. I cannot avoid running the cables together as they go through a hole in the wall to an extension and cannot put another hole in. The stretch they'll be tightly together is only about 30cm and about 2 metres they'll be close with a couple of lighting cables. The rest I could separate enough to not cause an issue.

My question is do I need shielded cables? If so what sort? is FTP okay or do I need STP? It is proving very hard to find cat 6 STP! If I use shielded cables what ground connectors do I need and can I connect the ground to the earth point on the back of my NVR only?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Sponsored Links
Quote: Why would it be okay.

Because ethernet cables are made up of 'twisted pairs' of signal carrying wires, which are relatively impervious to signal pickup.

So the normal cables work well, and the extra shielding is not normaly needed in typical use.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Why would it be okay? Looking online some say it’ll be okay and some say it won’t. Is it not so bad with domestic electrics?
It's not as bad as people think generally, in a commercial/office setting you'll find various installs all over the place with UTP adjacent to mains with only a small amount of separation

Thank you for the replies. So basically the cables are naturally resistant to interference? So in a domestic setting this would be okay, is it only in a more industrial setting this would become an issue?

I just want to be sure before I go ahead because once it’s in I can’t change it.

Yes the cables are already designed to be resistant to interference.
And yes, for normal domestic use you should be fine with the cat 6 utp that you are already using.

A long time since I looked into this stuff. I got the impression that shielded was a waste of time in a domestic set up. Why have metal RJ45 plugs that connect to plastic ports?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back