Cavity Wall Insulation – worth the risk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had an unsolicited call (Door to Door) from a representative of a company (Effective Home) an organisation I not familiar with, stating that I qualified for free cavity wall insulation under a revised Government initiative called ‘Great British Insulation Scheme’.

And while I have no time whatsoever for cold calling approaches I decided to investigate further. It would appear that the scheme is legitimate and following the Government selection criteria I would indeed qualify. My property is a brick built 1960's simi.

However, as for the company he represents I have no knowledge. Furthermore, I have some misgivings about the whole CWI process in the light of dampness problems raised by some homeowners post insulation.

I would appreciate any views from the knowledgeable contributors on here?

Thanks, Benny.

Sponsored Links
There's hundreds of thousands of CWI properties in the UK, with no problems.

If the cavity is wide enough, the wall condition and the location acceptable, then there is no reason not to have CWI.

Thanks for your input, that's quite reassuring.

I believe the infill substance will be 'beads', so just as long as the survey is satisfactory and I can find a reputable installer all should be good.

Regards, Benny.

I wouldnt install it myself...cavity is there for a reason.

Sponsored Links
We had Cavity wall insulation installed in our substantial 4-bed detached under a govt scheme some years ago. We likely would not qualify these days, but we contributed £60 to the job (we were over the specific limits of the scheme) and I reckon we recouped that in energy costs in the first billing quarter following installation. Provided its done well, the installer is competent and the particulars of your property (location, build type etc) do not indicate that CWI is not advised, then go for it. I always check out the installer at Companies House (if limited company), check VAT registrations, local reputation etc, etc.

We had Cavity wall insulation installed in our substantial 4-bed detached under a govt scheme some years ago. We likely would not qualify these days, but we contributed £60 to the job (we were over the specific limits of the scheme) and I reckon we recouped that in energy costs in the first billing quarter following installation. Provided its done well, the installer is competent and the particulars of your property (location, build type etc) do not indicate that CWI is not advised, then go for it. I always check out the installer at Companies House (if limited company), check VAT registrations, local reputation etc, etc.
The installer coupled with the quality of the installation would appear to be paramount.

Eh?

If you were building an extension or a house, would you leave the cavities empty?

Completely different to drilling holes in a wall and pouring in the stuff!! Lol

Look at all the people having the stuff removed!

As I understand it, if you install CWI on a new house you invalidate your 10 year NHBC guarantee. This was explained to me by a site agent from Barrets, because you have altered the structure of the building.

The site I was on, a couple of houses did it before the walls had fully dried out, so the only place for the moisture to go was inwards. Caused black walls which they had to have repaired at their own cost, (this was some years ago mind.)

I have had it in both my previous and current houses with no issues.

The last two houses we've lived in have had retrofitted CWI, prior to our occupation, I can't say how much of a gain there's been financially but there's not been any problems regards to damp etc. One house was Victorian brick, this one is 1950's rendered.

As I understand it, if you install CWI on a new house you invalidate your 10 year NHBC guarantee. This was explained to me by a site agent from Barrets, because you have altered the structure of the building.

The site I was on, a couple of houses did it before the walls had fully dried out, so the only place for the moisture to go was inwards. Caused black walls which they had to have repaired at their own cost, (this was some years ago mind.)

I have had it in both my previous and current houses with no issues.
Why would you CWI a new build when you moved in? This thread is about older buildings with cavity walls and no other insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back