Cavity Wall Insulation – worth the risk?

Not a very nice or friendly response is it?
When ill informed headline readers repeatedly spread garbage on the internet, some feel it necessary to educate them.

Why do you think cavities were there then?
Were there? We are still building with them today.

Initially - to prevent the transfer of (externally generated) damp.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The reason for that is surely the vast majority of the work is carried out by these fly by night companies, and a large number of houses with cavities are not suitable for CWI,
That may be so. An even larger number (much larger) are suitable. Its only those properties, that have for one reason or another, have gained adventitious benefits with having a draughty cavity. These are usually narrow cavities with lots of cold bridging (snots, broad ties etc). It may mean a different fill or IWI or EWI. Regardless, the importance of adding insulation is paramount.

Compared to houses that benefit from cavity insulation, those that don't, is minute.

Last edited:
When ill informed headline readers repeatedly spread garbage on the internet, some feel it necessary to educate them.

Were there? We are still building with them today.

Initially - to prevent the transfer of (externally generated) damp.
Educate by all means, but I don't see a need to insult.

Sponsored Links
I'll check with my people and ask for a more sensitive response to trolling (woof!) etc.
I'll get back to you. (y)
If you got to know @Koolpc you would understand he is neither a troll or ignorant. He is quite an intelligent person who doesn't suffer fools gladly, but also has a sense of humour.

Last edited:
For the benefit of the OP, BennyS, I've noticed that your house is a 60's semi.
It's worth listening to the different pros and cons of CWI, as once it's in it's expensive to remove. If it was mine I'd definitely consider getting it put in.
Things to consider are what zone you're in, how exposed the walls are, and the condition of the pointing. A survey should also look inside the cavity. Beads are probably the best method.
Only you can really decide, but my advice would be to not dismiss the idea because of the negative articles. Just be sure that your property is OK for the installation. It could even be worth getting an independent survey.

As suggest earlier, I have looked at a BRE map and it suggests my location (pretty close to the centre of England, Meriden) is classified as ‘sheltered’ to ‘moderate’.

The main end elevation wall is south facing, the top of the (75mm) cavities doesn’t appear to be capped and from what I can tell the air bricks (5) don’t appear to be ‘sleeved’.

I have just discovered this You Tube insight into CWI which appears to cover mot of the points discussed on here.

I have concluded that with a proper survey and professional installation it’s probably beneficial, however, in the absence of the latter it carries a risk.

And should I proceed I have to find a way of mitigating those risks.

Once again, thanks to all.

Regards, Benny.

If you got to know @Koolpc you woud understand he is neither a troll or ignorant. He is quite an intelligent person who doesn't suffer fools gladly, but also has a sense of humour.
You two ever argue?
You are the ignorant one! Do some research lad..........try and get out from behind your pc screen and get into reality lad.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Standard trolling.

You two ever argue?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Standard trolling.
Which I believe was in response to your
I work in the building trade. I'm well aware, a small number of poorly constructed buildings, react unfavourably to certain insulation. I'm also well aware of the idiosyncrasies of buildings, condensation and their suitability for one insulation method over another.

It still does not justify your ignorant..."cavities are there for a reason" garbage, boyo. Stick to googling and dog impressions.
The last line could quite easily have been left off and no offence would have been caused, you would have got your point across and Kools wouldn't have bitten bacck.

Corner and threaten a dog and it will attack. Please bear that in mind.

Instead of rolling your eyes and trolling, why don't you try and explain your statement, i.e....

It's a scaremongery ambiguous statement with no merit, no explanation and zero logic.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Instead of rolling your eyes and trolling, why don't you try and explain your statement, i.e....

It's a scaremongery ambiguous statement with no merit, no explanation and zero logic.
My goodness. Don't you bang on, then call him a troll.

He is entitled to his opinion the same as the rest of us.

Now be a good boy and let it go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back