CCTV for oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was surprised in January to see that the flap on my heating oil tank was broken and I assume this didn't happen on its own. Given that my apparent consumption rate has risen dramatically in comparison to the prior year, I am beginning to suspect that someone is helping themselves to my oil.

I'll get the flap repaired and put up some other physical barriers, but I'd really like to know for sure if someone's stealing it, so I'm looking at installing a CCTV system. A quick google brought this one up:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/swann-swdvk-44575t2-uk-4-channel-security-system-2-cameras-5-pieces/1208t

Looks ok to me. The hard part is getting the wires from the cameras to the recording box, but I think I can manage it if I have to. Are there systems that don't need wires from the cameras (i.e. operate on a wifi system)?

Are there any particular brands that are favoured and should I look out for particular features?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Jever

Sponsored Links
swann don't have a good rep.

power is always the issue, even wifi devices need power.

but if you can get a hole in the wall for cat5, then you could use other solutions to get the footage from the camera to the dvr/nvr, like Ethernet over mains.

the location and angle of your camera may be an issue, to see whos approaching the oil tank

Yes, I'm planning to use two cameras, each about a foot past the two ends of the tank, looking down from a height of about eight feet. I can then run the cables into the loft above the garage where I'll keep the recorder.

Sponsored Links
shouldn't be looking down, should be looking across and maybe slightly down.

just so you capture the persons face, rather than the top of there head.

Also, beef up the physical security of the tank
An image of the thief is no good after the event and a baseball cap or hoodie is common
A reg number of the van will be good (if it isn't fake)- nobody steals only as oil as they can physically lift

My girlfriend's landlords had oil stolen by guys in a white transit with a big tank in the back

I install intruder and CCTV systems, it comes down to getting the best for your budget.

installing the cameras in the right places helps.

you can get notifications off some systems when they enter the area set on the camera, can be a pain to get it adjusted to optimum

Having done a quick google, as well as "locking" type security, there are reasonable priced alarms that sense. Rapid use/ level changes and alert the owner.

agree completely that faces can be covered to some degree, although you be surprised with a good image how much can be done with a partially covered face.

Oil isn't light or easily transported without containers of some kind, whether its large drums loaded into the van or smaller containers, or pumped to a van storage.

if you got an early alert that someone was on your premises, you might be able to take action, but I have no idea how long it would take to get enough oil to make it worth someones while.

Having ranked them by review feedback on the Screwfix website, Nightwatcher systems seem to get the best reviews, so I think I'll probably go for one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nightwatcher-nw-4ahd-1tb-c720-2d-4-channel-cctv-dvr-kit-2-cameras/4749t

or one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nightwatcher-nw-4ahd-1tb-c720-2b-4-channel-cctv-dvr-kit-2-cameras/4235t

The only apparent difference is the cameras. The second option appears to need a horizontal surface from above to mount them (which I don't have) but the first appears to be mountable on a vertical wall (which suits my circumstances), so I reckon I'll go for that.

I know they're called nightwatcher, but I assume they'll film successfully during daylight also?

I have a feeling the thief knows my movements and waits until both cars are off the drive before acting, so an alert won't really help me.

There doesn't appear to be a screen with these, but they do record, it seems. How do I access the footage?

Regards

Jever

Most modern cctv will connect to a monitor (you supply) via vga or hdmi
You have an internal hard drive ( i.e. "The tape" ) and a USB socket so that a stick can be used to lift off moments.
If you need a horizontal surface, fit a right angle bracket

Both of those systems are only 720p , you should be looking at 1080p at least (2mp). Both of those cameras can be fixed on a vertical wall ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back