CCTV for oil tank

Sponsored Links
its not as simple as 720 and 1080 give more resolution.

the field of view coupled with the resolution is what you would need to work out.

you have a 720 pixels over 1m is higher resolution than 1080 pixels over 2M. both more than adequate to id someone, but if you wanted to cover a 2M area the 1080 would mean one camera, the 720 would mean 2 cameras.

to id someone comfortably looking at least 250ppm, the closer you are to the camera the higher the resolution.

so if the 720 in the above case the pixel density is higher in the 720 camera, but its covering a smaller area.

http://cctvlenscalculator.com/ so you can play with the figures

I would not even bother with cams..........check the below out!!

dakota-dcma-2500e-wireless-external-driveway-long-range-alarm-system

I have 4 of the PIR's and 1 probe around my house....it is simply superb, even the dog goes straight to the point
when external alarm triggers, Things worth mentioning, you can add GSM dialer / integrate into CCTV system and command PTZ
to home in, add external siren, multiple receiver ect...

I installed over 4 years ago and apart from annual battery change ( PP3), this system has proven invaluable to us - We had the Gipo's
round at night and I was able to go out and confront them before they could do anything - now have electric gates but that's another story.

The sensors give off a laser style beam upto 20M coverage and my furthest sensor is 400M from receiver......Its worked so well
I installed in many local farms and just fitted at Wells Reclamation Yard near Bristol.....

Last edited by a moderator:
its not as simple as 720 and 1080 give more resolution.

the field of view coupled with the resolution is what you would need to work out.

you have a 720 pixels over 1m is higher resolution than 1080 pixels over 2M. both more than adequate to id someone, but if you wanted to cover a 2M area the 1080 would mean one camera, the 720 would mean 2 cameras.

to id someone comfortably looking at least 250ppm, the closer you are to the camera the higher the resolution.

so if the 720 in the above case the pixel density is higher in the 720 camera, but its covering a smaller area.

http://cctvlenscalculator.com/ so you can play with the figures

These are fixed lens cameras in the kit so will be covering a large area....

Sponsored Links
720p is useless for identification of faces or number plates. Most people who install 720p cameras are disappointed.

You need 1080p as a minimum, and preferably better. And if it's a wide-angle lens then even 1080p may not be sufficient.

Have a look at Hikvision IP cameras.

Search for 'oil tank alarm', might give you some ideas

Sally the issue with cameras is they not correctly specified.

720 tend to be bottom end granted, and are 1.3MP, 1080 are 2.1MP but it isn't about the resolution, its the resolution density.

In theory a 4K camera can offer less resolution density than a cheaper lower resolution camera.

I have cameras from earlier days that have much lower resolution, but would require the person to be stood pretty much directly in front of the camera to be identified.

you need a pixel density of at least 250p/m at the distance away from the camera you want to be able to identify them at.

try ipvm calculator to get ideas on differences its not a perfect guide but it will help you eliminate some of the guess work.

I agree with you entirely. That's which I mentioned the difficulty with wide-angle lenses.

But even in those very limited circumstances where the location and view angle might permit the use of only 720p, why bother with it when a higher resolution will give even more detail? Especially when other cameras in the same system will need better resolution, why mix them? Don't we always want the best possible resolution? The cost isn't significantly greater.

I have a number of cameras to cover around my corner house and the neighbours too - with their agreement.
They have lenses from 2.8mm to 12mm according to the scene they cover, and all record at 2688 x 1520. Because they can.

When I recorded the faces of two burglary suspects walking past the house with their haul, and passed the footage to the police, they said it was the first time they had ever been given domestic CCTV images that they could actually use in court. And they did. Both were convicted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back