Ceiling electricity not working

Do you know that I built my own computer, do you know that I can render a wall?
There is always a first, and girls can do it as well as boys, if they are supported. I am not stupid or unaware of danger.
I will not hold anyone responsible for any damages to myself or my property - ok?
U :mad:

Sponsored Links
to test the switch - turn on the power (at the fuse box) and carefully test both terminals (screws which wires are connected to, top and bottom of switch) then flick the switch and test again. Post you results here. Then we will be able to tell you for sure wheather you need an electrician.

That other fella breezer, dont mind him he has no faith in anybody. Although I have to admit you probably will need an electrician

Fair Play Ursa - YOU TELL HIM :)

Ok, I tested the switch. The lamp lights on each of the wires, in the on as well as in the off position. thanks

BR said:
That other fella breezer, dont mind him he has no faith in anybody. Although I have to admit you probably will need an electrician

next time you want to drive the fire engine you can walk

Sponsored Links
Are their two screws on either the top or the bottom of the switch if so then you should be testing the single terminal (probably on the top) and the terminal with the wire connected to it on the bottom.

The info you give suggests that the switch is faulty but the light should be lighting all the time. So something dosn't add up.

This may sound silly, but are you sure this is the correct switch?

breezer said:
next time you want to drive the fire engine you can walk

There is only one fire engine driver in this town and thats me.

red is on top, with second terminal free - lights up.
blue on the bottom, one terminal only - lights up, but less.
I love Eire, thanks Ursa

ok ursa, i hate having to say it but lighting circuits can get a little complicated and without the correct test equipment. and as i cant actually see your installation, i would have to advise calling an electrician.

The fault could exist in the ceiling rose of an adjoining bedroom or to be honest anywhere in the house. To a professional electrician this should be an easy fix.

If you feel up to it, you can rule out a faulty switch by: disconnecting the two wires from the back of the switch and joining them together temporally with a connector block if you have one, otherwise (and i shouldn’t really say this) with a bit of tape.(turn off power first) If the landing light works (ensure a good bulb is fitted) then the switch is faulty if it dosn't ???????? (see above)

Even if you do have to get an electrician it can be an interesting experience and we would love to know the outcome.

Thank you for your help.
One more thought before I call an electrician - I think the fault is in the ceiling. It would not hurt to fasten a new screwy bit, holder, for the lightbulb (with electricity off) would it? Or is this wasted time?
thanks U

another possibility (and the last bit of useful advice I can give I’m afraid) is a faulty bulb holder. (the unit into which the bulb fits into). A visual inspection is all you can do here. You'll probably find the top screws off and up. If I can be of any more assistance feel free to ask.

see post above - i was still typing it when you were posting your's! if you can get your hands on one you know to be good (or ideally a new one) fitting it would be a good idea

I agree with Breezer and BR. Call an electrician. Few quid instead of hurting yourself is far better. Don't carry on there are plenty of Sparky's around where you live, just look in the yellow pages as as already been stated.... !!! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back