Central heating pipe sizes

Luc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just left my home in the hands of plumber (who comes reccomended) but he has told me he has to replace the pipework if I want to have a dual fuel cooker and a boiler in the kitchen. He said he would have to replace the pipes and put in bigger pipes because otherwise the cooker would starve the boiler of gas when we use them at the same time. Am I being had? What thickness is required? the pipes there at the moment are around 10mm (i think) and he says they need to be 22mm.

Thanks for any advice,

luc

Sponsored Links
I know next to nothing about gas, but I did read that some boilers need 28mm pipes :eek: , so this suggestion sounds reasonable, and I doubt replacing a pipe is the easist way he could earn money.

Sounds about right to me.

We have recently bought a gas range and that required 22mm up to 1m from the inlet on the cooker.

thanks for that guys. i feel more relaxed now....although i am not looking forward to going home to no kitchen for a few days!

Sponsored Links
yep gas pipe is calculated by the maximum kw requirement of all the appliances on that section and the length of the run (plus bends and fittings)...ifyou have a much higher demand than before then bigger pipe will be required to ensure you have no more than a 1 millibar pressure drop by law. You appear to have a good plumber who is trying to prevent you blowing up!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back