Changing over from a Nest Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We currently have a Valliant EcoTech boiler with a Nest Thermostat wired up to it.

It's been great but we're moving home and plan to take the Nest unit with us. So that I'm not leaving the new buyer with nothing, I'm wiring up an older 'Boss 20810168 RF RX' thermostat in its place, which will do the job of enabling them to changing temperature with the wireless receiver.

I thought it would be a like-for-like wire swap but tuns out the Nest is only using 2 of the 4 wires (black, brown, grey and blue) - only black and grey are in use. Does that mean that's all this boiler requires and the new Boss unit only needs these two wires only?

The instruction for the Boss unit are complex and wondered if anyone can advise how I wire into the older Boss base plate please?

I've uploaded the current Nest and the Boss faceplate for you to have a look. I'm sure it's relatively easy but want to make sure it's right. I'm as confident as changing light switched and plug sockets so should be safe for me to do so.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3392.jpg
    IMG_3392.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3393.jpg
    IMG_3393.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 16
Sponsored Links
The capped wires to N and L and the wires in use to 1 and 3.

Personally, I would leave the Nest behind, as it will not connect to TRV heads, only really any good with open plan homes, or hot air systems.

Reactions: CBW
Thanks so much for that, really useful of you!

1) Does it matter which one of the two 1 and 3 wires go in which slot colour wise?

2) In the back of the new wired Boss unit, there 5 sliders all turned to on currently, do you know if I need to slide any of these to be off / on too? Pic here:

Attachments

• IMG_3394.jpg
    IMG_3394.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 12
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back