Channelling wall for 32mm waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to channel the wall vertically for my basin pipe as I want to conceal the waste pipe. Is that acceptable?
The wall in question, is an external wall and there is a bedroom above this floor (3 floor house).

Sponsored Links
If you can get the depth to drop the pipe into the wall, then yes you could, it's not a normal approach though. You may find it hard to get the depth you want though without hacking out at least half a width of brick/block, not sure if that's a good idea especially on a load bearing/gable end.

The channel shouldn't be any deeper than 1/3rd of the existing wall or leaf. You might get away with being a bit deeper depending on the length of it.

32mm should be fine in a 100mm wall based on the above? It’s only the height required for a basin

Sponsored Links
I assumed this is not at all uncommon as people will want to conceal waste pipes? Am I correct or do people create false walls for this purpose? I have a very small bathroom as it is...

Yup +1 .... Cutting a pipe that size into the wall isn't a usual an approach. It's usually a pedestal or straight out the wall as @Gasguru mentions or a vanity unit or paneling etc to hide it in. Either that or it's a stud wall where a pipe that size might be hidden, without compromising anything.

Thanks guys. For avoidance of doubt, I want to achieve something like this:

8980D540-136F-4BCA-9F7B-AFCFC7715656.png

I assume this needs a “concealed” waste (and water) pipe. I could build a stud wall but I have a very tight space to work with as things are. I also noted one of the suggestions that a 1/3rd of the leaf ca be channeled? If yes, this would give me the depth I am looking for.

Appreciate your guidance on this.

I wouldn't ever recommend chasing 40mm channel into a brick wall to bury a waste pipe. Doesn't mean there could be issues, I just wouldn't recommend it.

Would a 40mm stud section be that much of a noticeable steal from the room size?

I assumed it would be 32mm for the basin?
Also, since I am boarding the walls (dot and dab), I could use the void behind the board too- meaning less recess into the wall. I just hadn’t appreciated that a vertical chase of this length would be problematic

Yup but you'll probably be using solvent weld, which is 36mm OD and then the fitting(s) which are 4mm wider at around 40mm, not to mention any banding used to secure the pipe. Your board will take up any flex in the run but I would say at least 40mm, I would think.

I wouldn't ever recommend chasing 40mm channel into a brick wall to bury a waste pipe. Doesn't mean there could be issues, I just wouldn't recommend it.

Would a 40mm stud section be that much of a noticeable steal from the room size?
Agreed,I have never seen waste pipe chased into wall,,ever

Thanks guys. For avoidance of doubt, I want to achieve something like this:

View attachment 170595

I assume this needs a “concealed” waste (and water) pipe. I could build a stud wall but I have a very tight space to work with as things are. I also noted one of the suggestions that a 1/3rd of the leaf ca be channeled? If yes, this would give me the depth I am looking for.

Appreciate your guidance on this.
but that has a built out small bulkhead, I agree with some others , I wouldnt be chasing a load bearing wall on a 3 story house

Jupiter,
Would you be satisfied by putting the sink on the wall as you currently want, and put a 50mm plasterboard box section only directly under the sink to take pipes.
You will not get full floating sink look that you wanted, but no loss of space as sink still against wall.
Sfk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back