chargers on standby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok power tool battery chargers dont have standby as such but got me wonderng as i sometimes forget i have one on charge
batteries random capacity as the charged outcome is the same
bosch 10.8v charger over 10 years old so pre 1w standby requirement charger al1130cv 3w when battery charged
dewalt 18v dcb1104 new 5.1w
ryobi 18v rc1806 new 2.5w

fully charged batteries have no effect on charger in or out the consumption, the same
now not a kings ransom but may help others decide what to do
please add your own results
energeny plug in meter used

Sponsored Links
I use a mechanical timer to control chargers.
Should not leave plugged in for any length of times where lithium batteries are involved.

fully charged batteries have no effect on charger in or out the consumption, the same
I'm just curious about how you are measuring this consumption?
If it is a cheap plug-in meter, it may not have the resolution to measure low power consumption.
With modern chargers, the power consumption when a charger is charging the battery will definitely be higher, than when the battery is fully charged.
You only have to feel the battery and charger, to tell if this is the case; they will be warm when charging - do they both remain warm, when the charging cycle has finished?

i prefer to keep a loose eye on the batteries and turn off at 80% charge
the full charge was for the benefit off this check

Sponsored Links
I'm just curious about how you are measuring this consumption?
If it is a cheap plug-in meter, it may not have the resolution to measure low power consumption.
With modern chargers, the power consumption when a charger is charging the battery will definitely be higher, than when the battery is fully charged.
You only have to feel the battery and charger, to tell if this is the case; they will be warm when charging - do they both remain warm, when the charging cycle has finished?
its a plug in energene about £13
random link

i did plug them all in at the same time and the result was within 1w even if its very inaccurate i use the same meter on everything it actually reads very closely to one i got from lidl approching 25 years ago

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It's quite a good idea to use a timer with an "off" but no "on" so you don't forget.

The old type of plugin with pegs or segments are good for that, or a wired in immersion timer.

The cost of electricity is negligible.

years since i used a pin in timer was for my home brew cabinet
used a combination off 40/60/100w bulbs in 2 holders to give 40/60/80/100/120/140/160/200w levels off heat within a cabinet around double the 30pint+40pint barrels size to control the heat levels for quickest brew times to 13% for brain dead levels lol

as an aside the heat level was always between 40- 120w from memory[40 years on ]
the kits where geordy home brew from boots a 30 pint container and a 40 pint container each with a brew mash tin 40 pints 4kg sugar added 30 pint 3kg added hydrometer finished so 13% gravity 1/3 the strength off whisky ---- i used to drink with lemonade 50 % so around 6.5|% as my chosen strength even now is around 6% with no home brew 40 years on

Last edited:
Back