checking out old wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone give me some advice on an approximate cost for checking the circuits in our flat.

We have recently moved into a flat that has 3 generations of plug sockets (including the old round hole plug sockets from 1940's?). We are suspecting that all is not well with the electrics as our switch for our shower has burnt out twice.

I have had one quote for £90 to check the electics and provide a written report - yet someone else said it would cost more like £200. What does anyone think?

Sponsored Links
I have had one quote for £90 to check the electics and provide a written report - yet someone else said it would cost more like £200. What does anyone think?

£90 is very reasonable and the fact that is with a written report suggests the person is professional and not afraid to write down the findings.
I would not pay much more than say £130 as a flat only has about 3-5 circuits roughly.

hang on a bit and you'll get a thing throught the door for a free check..

they sent ours round a few months ago..

it's a way of touting for business..
:D

Sponsored Links
We got offered one of those free checks from BG, so for a laugh I thought why not.

They came, had a look, and said "yep it's all absoloutly fine"

There were 3 circuits still wired in rubber, and no PEBs / supplementaries at all :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back