Chemical Anchoring RSJ to Padstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've removed a wall between kitchen and dining room. At the external wall, SE has specified beam sitting on top of padstone with M12 chemical anchor, plus an SHS windpost with steel angle, with more bolts between steel angle and RSJ. The other side of the room, the RSJ is on top of 3 cripple studs, so that side is fairly straight forward.

My question is how to get the chemical anchors into the padstone, and then the threads through the RSJ holes?
If I set the anchors in the padstone, then mortar the padstone in place, there's no way to lift the RSJ over the anchors because of the joists above obviously...

Only method I can think of is to acro the RSJ up with holes drilled, put the anchors into the padstone, then put the padstone up through the holes and stuff around with mortar. Leave to set before removing acros.

Attached 2 details of the same end (One of the section details doesn't have the windpost in the drawing but they are both definitely the same end of the RSJ).

Cheers!

Attachments

• image_2024-10-26_094823196.png
    image_2024-10-26_094823196.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 15
  • image_2024-10-26_094833659.png
    image_2024-10-26_094833659.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 12
Sponsored Links
Bolting the bottom flange to the padstone doesn't add much to wind resistance.
Of more importance is the connection between the top of the windpost and the underside of the beam.
It would also be better if the windpost itself could be bolted back to the wall (eg with welded lugs) but no fixings are shown.
Presumably the base of the windpost is specified as being fixed to the floor or remaining wall below?
As regards bolting the beam to the padstone, why not ask the SE if s/he has any ideas? You'd need to be very accurate in setting the bolts if you decide to push the padstone up against the underside of the beam.
A lot of useless faff IMO.

Drill the pad stone then place it, use a tape measure and helper to ensure the distance between the pad stone holes is the same as on the beam, fit the beam, fit the bolts?

Laser chalk line will likely be of help here

Personally I'd cast the pads myself, and just drop the threaded bar into the still-wet mix before vibrating it..

A lot of useless faff IMO
Hear here

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back