Circuit tripping causing damage to IT equiptment

Hi all, thanks for your replies To provide more info, the TV is a large commercial one in an office setting, and does have an earth connection via the IEC connector.

It is also connected to the data network via the ethernet cable, and then to the computer via the HDMI cable.

It didn't occur to me that it might be the TV at fault to be honest I was thinking it was the fixed wiring circuit related, but reading through your responses this seems like the most likely thing at fault is the TV, under fault conditions caused by the unrelated shorts happening.

Difficult to test through really without causing a deliberate short on the socket circuit and potentially sacrificing another PC.

I've just checked the failed PC and the power supply is fine and has worked in another PC so it is the mother board that has died, which points to the problem coming in on the HDMI cable from the TV.

EDIT just to add the PC's were connected to the TV during the two incidents, they are permanently connected.

Sponsored Links
How long is the HDMI? Are the PC & TV plugged into the same socket outlet/4 way or are then in different sockets? If on different sockets, are on the the same circuit?

The HDMI is about 7m long, and the TV/computer are in different sockets (on the same circuit).

The only other thing plugged into the TV is an ethernet cable. There is also another PC monitor connected to the PC which has been unaffected on both occasions.

The TV is being replaced anyway as the sound is broken and the HDMI inputs.

Hopefully that will resolve the problem, I was learning towards it being a fault with the fixed wiring circuit before posting here but now feel its much more likely to be the TV.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back