Combi Versus Conventional

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the opportunity to select the type of heating system to install into a 3 bed house. Should I go for a conventional system (space is not an issue) or should I go for a combi boiler? I only have one bathroom and the kitchen so shouldn't be too much draw on hot water. If combi option - any particular boilers better than others. Should I go for one of the All in packs offered on web - around £700?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think combis are wonderful, they give me lots of work, and judging by the postings on this forum, they generate work for lots of other people. Please, pleeease get a combi then we wil have lots and lots of work fixing them. :cool:

As for the all-in-one, unless your house is a box made out of ticky tacky and it all looks just the same, I wouldn't use one. The heating system is a critical part of a house. You will know this when it doesn't work properly. It will be there for a long time.

When you say all in one pack........what are you getting? What boiler....and what else????

Sponsored Links
You know, Glowworm CI boiler, 7 rads of any size with valvles, 30m (I think) of 15mm and 22mm copper pipe
But from Oilmans reply, I have gone right off the combi option!! :confused:

Now you're in thinking mode, lets have some information.
How many people live in your house?
Do you prefer baths?
Do you prefer showers?
If showers, low pressure or power showers?
What is your water supply pressure?
What is the flow rate at peak demand times? (Not your peak demand, but at advert time during Coronation Street)
Have you thought you will need a water conditioner to reduce scaling of the DHW heat exchanger?

Masona wrote
Plumber Will wrote:
and what else????
Manufacter helpline,Yellow pages,diynot website address and Oilman's phone number

As it's Christmas and people will be without their heating for up to 3 days at a time, I will do a special seasonal offer, I will give my phone number (under a non-disclosure agreement of course) a random selection of three digits for say £100. :evil:

OK, I know some of this,

How many people live in your house? >>2 adults<<
Do you prefer baths? >>No<<
Do you prefer showers? >>Yes<<
If showers, low pressure or power showers?>>I have an electric shower<<
What is your water supply pressure? >>Not sure, but it seems OK<<
What is the flow rate at peak demand times? (Not your peak demand, but at advert time during Coronation Street) >>Seems to hold out OK, bounces back out of washing up bowl all over the work tops - is that a bit technical? ;) <<
Have you thought you will need a water conditioner to reduce scaling of the DHW heat exchanger? Yes I have read about this being a problem on Combi's, what is the rough cost of one of these?

Thanks for your thoughts, this is driving me mad as I can see the cost\time savings up front for the combi solution, but am looking a bit longer term but am not sure of reliability, which is important. I think my DHW (I learnt a new TLA!!) usage is low, certainly with multiple devices at once, ie washing machine \ bath (Rare - prefer showers). However I don't want to be calling on your professions services too often. I have a conventional setup in my current house and it has been (touch wood) fairly fault free during last 12 years, fan burnt out 5 years ago but that was easily tracked and fixed.

Bottom line I guess is, time savings upfront versus long term grief?? I really was hoping the industry had got on top of the combi boiler solution, it has been around for some time.

Cheers

isaidright! said:
I have a conventional setup in my current house and it has been (touch wood) fairly fault free during last 12 years, fan burnt out 5 years ago but that was easily tracked and fixed.
The old saying " If it not broken,don't fix it ! "
Bottom line I guess is, time savings upfront versus long term grief??
Cheaper in the long run ! My Kingfisher Potterson boiler is still going strong after 22 years ! and I can still buy the same model but it a lot cheaper now. :rolleyes:
I really was hoping the industry had got on top of the combi boiler solution, it has been around for some time.
They are getting better but I'm not confident yet,there are some very happy & unhappy combi boiler owner out there.

i have a combi, just me & mrs breezer, i prefer shower, mrs breezer prefers a bath but we both love the heating and we are both :LOL: with the combi (and our bg 3* service)

but as masona said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

only trouble with combi, we have more space to put more "junk"

If you need the space and don't mind sacrificing heating and hot water in the event of a breakdown go for the combi, but steer clear of the condensing combi's for a few years until they sort out the nightmares

......steer clear of the condensing combi's for a few years .......

Sorry to say it doesn't seem like we'll have a choice. The Rt. Hon. Margaret Beckett MP (you know, the well known politician and expert on combustion) has other ideas. We will be forced to use condensing boilers from 2005 unless she has a sudden onset of sanity. Despite the fact that replacement boilers on existing systems will not condense for most of the time. Still who are we children to argue with the grown ups?

OK, thanks for all of your thoughts, I will stick with the conventional setup. Now should I use copper or plastic pipes?

Just to clarify, I am installing a new system in a old house. My current house is fine and functioning OK, so not looking to change it - lie you said if aint broke...

cheers

i would go for copper, only trouble is you can't work on gas, and you may not find any one who will commision the system as you fitted it not them, since they are putting their name to it. may i suggest you find a heating engineer who will commision it, BEFORE you start

see what ChrisR says in this post

if it's a complete first fix in water I often use plastic for the speed and copper where it shows. Also reduces the noise. No guarantees on plastic though and i wouldn't use it in my house!!. Take from that what you will.

OK, many hours down the line, I have opted for conventional boiler and copper. Why did I worry my silly head in the first place.

In my trade (IT) everything you know today is useless in 9 months time, I guess we embrace new technology more readily - mind you if it goes wrong it won't flood your house!!

Thanks for everyone's input - have a happy Christmas!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back