Conduit on these fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a 20mm round conduit on both of these to extend cables. Do I need some sort of gland?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4363.jpeg
    IMG_4363.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i didn’t try but guessing the male would have worked too?
With the female, the conduit goes into the adaptor. If you use the male, that is a smaller diameter and it goes into the conduit (making the conduit end smaller.

Do I need to use one of those cone drill bits to put a 20mm hole into this?
10 years on this forum and 4000 posts and you still dont know how to drill a hole?

PS You need to seal the rear hole into the light fitting or it will fill with water. Take it off teh wall, and really squidge a lot of silicone sealant between the fitting and the wall. Drill a drain hole in the bottom of the light fitting too.

With the female, the conduit goes into the adaptor. If you use the male, that is a smaller diameter and it goes into the conduit (making the conduit end smaller.
Thanks. As I understand it, both would work right?
I opted for the female as it had a chunkier retaining nut and provide waterproofing with the conduit going into the fitting.

10 years on this forum and 4000 posts and you still dont know how to drill a hole?
There is no single way of creating this hole and I certainly haven’t devoted my ten years to understanding how to create holes! On occasions, there are knockouts that you can just push out and then we have a number of options to create this hole. That’s all I was checking on.

Thanks for your tip on the sealant and drain hole.

Experience shows that even supposedly waterproof fittings leak water in eventually therefore a weep hole at the bottom point (preferably reverse side as it tends to have greater protection from rain etc) but as tiny a hole as possible to drain water but deter penetration by insects and dust, often approx 45 degrees on the corner between the back edge and the bottom edge is best choice, off course that might nullify any IP XX rating of the unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back