Confused about washing machine fit in 830mm high recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies all, as I know this sounds like a ridiculous question.

I've moved into a new house and there's a recess (with double doors) in the kitchen cupboards for a washing machine. Width and depth are ok but the height is only 830mm. I could increase this to around 840mm if I cut away the support bracket for the worktop.

I'm confused as the previous owner had a standard freestanding washing machine/dryer in this spot. All the manuals say these need a height of 850mm so in theory this should not have been able to fit. So my question is, does the 850mm size represent the maximum height with the feet fully extended? If so, is there a general minimum height?

My alternative is to fit an integrated machine which seems to have lower heights (although my understanding is the main benefit of these is the door can be attached to the machine, which isn't required in my case). Are there any considerations I need to make for this, ie can an integrated machine be floor standing like a standard machine or are they supported differently?

Apologies again for the no doubt stupid question but I'm genuinely confused by this and getting a hard time to get a washing machine purchased

Sponsored Links
Go to a local white goods store and measure up, you likely wont find a definitive answer on the internet.

Sponsored Links
can an integrated machine be floor standing like a standard machine
All integrated machines are floor standing.

The differences are that they have no top, the front is set back further than normal to allow for a decorative door to be fixed, and the section at the bottom is recessed so that a plinth can be installed in front of it.
They are typically much more expensive than a standard machine of the same type.

All integrated machines are floor standing.

The differences are that they have no top, the front is set back further than normal to allow for a decorative door to be fixed, and the section at the bottom is recessed so that a plinth can be installed in front of it.
They are typically much more expensive than a standard machine of the same type.
Cheers, so I don't need to stand it on batons etc?
Yeah, cost seems ridiculous, definitely don't want to have to fit one. Can't work out how the previous owners had a standard freestanding unit in there

Cheers, so I don't need to stand it on batons etc?
Yeah, cost seems ridiculous, definitely don't want to have to fit one. Can't work out how the previous owners had a standard freestanding unit in there
Probably removed top as I mentioned though some machine are as short as 80cm .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back