Constant call for heat from cylinder thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can shed some light.

To cut a long story short when I turn my ideal logic heat boiler on it immediately starts heating water (flame icon).

Can't override with HIVE, in fact the only thing that stops it is turning the Danfoss cylinder thermostat down to near zero.

If left running it just seems to keep going even when water is well above the temp set on the Danfoss.

3 way is brand new, is the issue the cylinder thermostat?

Attachments

• IMG_20240531_135622185.jpg
    IMG_20240531_135622185.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
The boiler was doing the same before the 3 ways was replaced, first place I looked was the 3 way, and it wasnt behaving correctly so was replaced. Boiler still doing the same. Further investigation led me to the cylinder thermostat.

Sponsored Links
The pin was stuck, the motor was gone and the gearing was knackered. Think it needed changing.

Very simple like for like replacement.

Yeah it touching the cylinder mate, although I did just go and check.

Attachments

• IMG_20240601_212657367.jpg
    IMG_20240601_212657367.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 46
Can't override with HIVE, in fact the only thing that stops it is turning the Danfoss cylinder thermostat down to near zero.
With the Hive removed from the backplate, does the boiler still fire?
As @Exedon suggests, looking at a Y plan wiring diagram, (good information here);
the Hive should definitely override the call for heat.

Im assuming you mean the hard wired part of the hive. Might take a look tomorrow. Thanks.

Further info, when the hive says off (no call for heating on stat or lights on on the hardwired part) it's still firing. The only thing that stops it firing is to turn the Danfoss to near zero. (It's like it does on and off but doesn't recognise temp I guess)

Although I appreciate if it's wiring it could be anything.

Im assuming you mean the hard wired part of the hive. Might take a look tomorrow.
Yes, we can perform a couple of troubleshooting steps by removing the Hive receiver from its backplate.

With the receiver removed and the power isolated, you could connect a short link wire between L and terminal 1 on the backplate.
When the power is reconnected, the HW should be off.
With the link wire then connected between L and 3, the HW should be calling for heat.
If this works correctly, the Hive will likely be at fault.
If there is still a call for heat with the link between L and 1, there is likely to be a wiring issue elsewhere.

Interesting. How would this explain what's going on with the cylinder thermostat?

Or is it a case of although the hive may not show on, it is stuck on. And the Danfoss it the reaction?

Something is sending an immediate Live to the boiler to fire - with a y plan that comes from the cylinder stat and out on orange to boiler and pump live.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back