Consumer Unit relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get my consumer unit lowered to install a drop ceiling. The circuits enter from above. Can the unit be lowered and the cables extended without a rewire?

Sponsored Links
I would say on average likely take a day, it is in essence fitting a new consumer unit, in fact likely that is the best option, but also likely an adaptable box with din rail mounted terminals in the old location 1718012580104.jpeg that is the easy neat way, this video
may help you get an idea how it is done. The box costs around £70 but it is a maintenance free type so the box can be above your new ceiling.

Sponsored Links
I need to get my consumer unit lowered to install a drop ceiling. The circuits enter from above. Can the unit be lowered and the cables extended without a rewire?
If the space above the drop ceiling will remain accessible then a generic adaptable box, or something like the wiska consumer unit relocation kit can be used to join the cables.

If the space above the ceiling will not remain accessible, then the junctions need to be done in a manner that is acceptable for non-accessible connections and that complicates matters substantially.

Spring-based terminals (push-in or lever-acutated) can be used for inaccessible connections, but *only* if they form part of a BS5733 maintenance free junction box. Unfortunately such boxes seem to only support a single circuit each, and seem to have a maximum current rating of 32A. So you need a bunch of boxes and they may be unsuitable for extending cooker or shower circuits.

Crimped connections can be used even in a generic box, but using crimps on solid core wiring is not ideal. So probablly the best compromise if inaccesible joints are unavoidable is MF junction boxes for the smaller cables, and crimps for the larger ones.

My preference though would be to avoid inaccesible joints if doing so is reasonably possible.

The box costs around £70 but it is a maintenance free type so the box can be above your new ceiling.
While some distributors use the term "maintenance free" in their descriptions, I see no evidence that it meets the requirements for a BS5733 maintenance free junction box.

I would agree, but it's also not a job where I would want to hire an electrian and just leave them to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back